Quick question regarding knobs for pots...

unrise_lyrical

Hey all,

just shopping around for pots and knobs, iv decided to go with the futurlec pots...can't really beat their price. They look like the following (burled shaft design):

POT.jpg

I have narrowed down my choice of knobs to 2 different kinds. The faceplate is going to be made from red Texalum/carbon fibre (basically carbon fibre but all red). The 2 different kind of knobs im choosing from are:

a3e7_1.JPG

or

d1_1.JPG

I think i prefer the blue ones more slightly.... although the black ones (which are aluminium on the outside) are considerably cheaper.

They thing that makes me wonder is the blue ones are a brass insert. Would I be better off spending slightly more cash and going with them? Id imagine if you take the caps off and on a few times the little lugs inside the plastic ones would wear down quite quickly?

any advice anyone can offer is much appreciated :)

Id imagine if you take the caps off and on a few times the little lugs inside the plastic ones would wear down quite quickly?

Well, your assumption might be correct, but then: why would you take the caps off and on anyway? I'd go with the ones that look better to you - after all, you will spend a lot of time on building this box, so visual appearance IS a factor for overall satisfaction  ;D.

Best regards, ilmenator

mainly because this is my first project of this scope and I figured there is a good chance I will have to pull it apart and put it together a fair few times :) not to mention when its finished it will be used for actual gigging where it will take a few bumps im sure. And the OTHER problem is..i like both of them! hehe...although Im starting to lean more towards the blue ones (with a blue LCD perhaps? would match my midi keyboard with blue LCD (M-Audio Axiom))

The futurlec pots have a split and might work with a collet, but that's not really the idea. That split is just to keep pressure on the slip-on knobs, so they're nice and tight. Also helps with 6mm vs 1/4inch sizing.

I'd thought about doing a carbon fibre panel, was talking with Wilba about it recently...  Please keep us posted :)

well, I won the carbon fibre sheeting so its a go'er! :) I also found another listing for the knobs, so I dont have to decide quickly now on which ones I like.

What are the pots on smashTV like for smoothness? Im thinking about maybe spending a little extra (only going to have maybe 12 pots for simplicity's sake) and getting good quality ones...or would I not notice the difference between those and the ones on futurlec?

Basically, I have been using a Novation ReMOTE 25 (not mine) for a while, and I would want pots more or less equal to their smoothness....they are excellent to use...

Heh, you say "on smashtv" like it's a store - it's not really, smash is a midiboxer like us, who's nice enough to have what amounts to a permanent bulk buy going on :)

The stuff he stocks is top grade, you will be happy with it I'm sure.