start a new OS war here (was: GM5)

Jidis

Oh thats too many to explain

Doesn't it make some "last session" file or something with all the changes in it?

If you guys are into that stuff, you should check out "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs". I run an NLited XP on my studio machine, but I've tried that, as well as an NLited 2Ksp4 and a variety of XPLite/TweakUI installs. I'm pretty sure WinFLP was the fastest, but it comes at a cost of some missing components. NLite can be the same way if you need something after the install. I had WinFLP on a P3 and it was plenty fast. It wouldn't run Nuendo at first, but I managed to do weird installs of DirectX and some Windows Media junk which got it the parts it was after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs

BTW- Never did get my OSX imaging crap straight. I managed to Ghost a Mac formatted system partition, but for some reason, couldn't dump the image back onto the partition later on (Ghost wouldn't see the Mac part as a valid destination). Still open to suggestions on a better DOS-based imaging app. ???

Doesn't it make some "last session" file or something with all the changes in it?

Yes, but mine are deleted, because they arent currently.Ive done the last Nlited XP-Install a year ago or so....for now I use my Acronis-Backups when my machine makes problems ;)

is there any NLite like stuff for OSX ?

Let me know if you find out. ;)

That was one of the things I wasn't too happy about on that hackintosh. I knew there was way too much stuff that I didn't need on there and I had no idea how to go about stripping it out. I also couldn't get the GUI "flattened out" like I like it. There was still some animation and candy on there, even after turning stuff off.

George

PS @Sasha- One of the cool things about that NLite was the interface's descriptions of all the different components and checkboxes. It's much better than what I've seen with Windows custom installs,etc. You should be able to get around in it on your own, and it's rewarding to have all of your own custom options and know what you removed. I started with the one from the Reaper forum, but soon made my own. If you set up the install from a machine with net access, anything with a generic description can usually be looked up on Google for better info (how I did mine).

-Good Luck!

You're right Enth (just checked one here :)).

There appears to be a similar pair (Last Session.ini & Last Session_u.ini) in the "Presets" folder inside the nLite program folder on this machine that I built my images on. I think I've seen those things posted in the nLite forum before, but I'm guessing they assume the user you share with has a copy of the same Windows install disk (don't know about builds or service pack versions). The one I got from the Reaper forum was the whole CD image.

George

Here's the configuration file, lists all things I've removed. Tho in my opinion it's easier to follow the nLite, as most of the stuff is explained well there...

I take no responsibility if you run into any problems, ie. some external devices not regognised. or your favorite audio-software not working.

Like, because I have no active-desktop enabled, I can't use any other image-format for the background, but BMP. I keep it black anyways :p

LAST SESSION.rar

LAST SESSION.rar