7805, LM317 T092 - Pic Burner

drboom

Hi all,

Currently having some difficulties sourcing LM317 and 7805 in a T092 package spec. The usual sources down here in australia only stock the T220. Is the T220 suitable for substitute in the pic burner? Both variants seem to provide the same spec from what i can see, or maybe i missed something?

Thanks in Advance

hi

T220 can use more amperage so yes it MAY be a substitute, the only counterpart is the pinout and pins size.

TO92 will just fit in the holes so it s your best choice but if you can t really source it then you may have to do a little pliers job and adapt the pins, consider also that probably the pins of the T220 won t fit the holes made for TO92 so you ll have to either enlarge the holes or get some 0.0005% cut resistor leads and easily solve the problem.

Hope it helps

Simone

thats great, Ill just rework the layout before i etch it to take a T220 package. i guess one advantage of the T220 is ill be able to slide a couple of heatsinks on em if needed.

thanks alot for the quick responses.

You can absolutely use the TO-220 package version in place of the TO-92, if that's all you can get.

That said, the reverse is usually not true. So if anyone is thinking of using a TO-92 78L05 to run a CORE, don't.

As you've said, the difference is mostly one of available current before overheating, which in turn is linked to the ability to attach a heatsink to the TO-220.

thats great, Ill just rework the layout before i etch it to take a T220 package. i guess one advantage of the T220 is ill be able to slide a couple of heatsinks on em if needed.

You definitely will NOT need to attach heatsinks to these regs if used on a pic burner module.

It is not unusual for a reg to run warm, but for the burner; if they get that hot, there's something wrong.

• 1 month later...

updating this on the off chance that someone searches for it in the future.

All done and working with the TO220 reg's. apart from the legs being reversed it was the only issue i had.

I made a pcb that accomodates the different pin sizes also. so if your interested send me a pm.