LED on J5 to display Link, cc and edit functions

Shum

Hi,

My MidiboxSID kit that I ordered from SmashTV has arrived. It consists of  a Core kit, SID kit, and Din kit. I intend to build a simple version first using minimum components before venturing out for a more complex one. As I do not have a Dout kit, I would like to use J5 of the Core to display the Link, CC and Edit functions by LED. I will be using the SID 6582 chips. The information given in the MB6582.asm indicated that “#define Default_J5_Function 0 needs to change to 2" in order to use the pins as digital output. The SR ID has also needs to change from 1 to 0 in cs_menu_io_tables.inc. I searched through the downloaded firmware but was unable to locate this file. Grateful if someone could point me to the right direction. Many thanks.

Regards

Shum

#define Default_J5_Function 0 is located directly in the setup_*.asm files.

Now guess where the CS_MENU_DOUT_TABLE is :-) Exactly.

The documentation in the setup_*.asm files is outdated indeed. I noticed that a while back, but forgot to notify someone or change it in the repository myself. Shame on me.

Hi nILS,

Thanks for the information. I went through all the files that I downloaded and could not locate the cs_menu_io_tables.inc. However, I found that the shift LED, CC LED and the Edit LED are located under CS_MENU_DOUT_TABLE. I thought to myself that this must be the place where SR# and PIN# can be modified  such that J5 would output these  LED functions. I did the modification and put SR# to 0 and pins to A1(pin1), A2(pin2) and A3(pin3) respectively, and recompiled. I tested these buttons and found only the shift LED works when that button is pressed. The other LED did not light up when the respective button is pressed. Thanks again.

Regards

Shum

The documentation in the setup_*.asm files is outdated indeed. I noticed that a while back, but forgot to notify someone or change it in the repository myself. Shame on me.

I'dbe happy to commit changes to the comments, but I don't feel that I know the SIDv2 well enough to see all the errors, or if there's more than just this one.

If someone could tell me what they want changed, I'll change it.

That said... It seems to me that there are a lot of people who are really lacking some initiative. The filename given only differs from the correct filename by three characters, and the string you need to change is correct... search search search!!!!

Hi nILS and stryd,

Thanks for updating the files and I am sure it will be a great help to those who are new to the midibox SID projects. In fact I did try searching the forum many times for the information but was unable to find the answers. Anyway as I mentioned before I did look at the *.setup.asm file and found the correct location where modifications can be made such that J5 could be use as LED display. Now that I have finished the Core, the SID and the DIN modules and wired them up with a midi keyboard and powered up, it all works. I was able to play notes from the keyboard. At the moment I am using the 6581 SID and it operats on a 5V and 12V supplies. I found that the SID chip is warm to the touch, is this normal. However, the 5V and the 12V regulator chips remain cool (room temperature). I am using a 2x40 LCD with EL backlight and have built a small inverter to power the EL element.

Thanks

Regards

Shum

Hi Stryd,

I do not have an enclosure yet, and am in the process of constructing one using plexiglass and wood. I would probably take some time to complete it. BTW how does one post pictures to the forum. The only way I know is to attach them using the "Additional Options". Thanks

Regards

Shum

how does one post pictures to the forum. The only way I know is to attach them using the "Additional Options".

You can either attach them that way, or you can link to something offsite using the button above. The button looks like this:

[img width=50]http://www.midibox.org/forum/Themes/Midibox/images/bbc/img.gif

And the code I used to embed that image looks like this:

[img width=50]http://www.midibox.org/forum/Themes/Midibox/images/bbc/img.gif[/img]

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a 2x40 LCD with EL backlight and have built a small inverter to power the EL element.

Hi, any chance you could post the schematics for this, I'm sure that there's more than a few that would find it useful. How is it for intereference, does it introduce noise in to the circuit at all?

Hi Goblinz,

The inverter I used is made up components found in my sparepart box. The schematic is attached as requested.

The 555 Timing chip is wired as a standard square wave generator. The pulses are amplified by the transistor and fed to step up transformer. I used a small 1VA 230V to 9V low profile transformer. A better option would be to use a standard small audio output transformer (available at Radio Shack) with a primary measured 1k Ohm and a secondary of 8 Ohm. With the configuration as shown in the schematic the output of the transformer at A and B varies between 80V to 120V AC (loaded) with a supply voltage of +9 to 12 Volts. To test the circuit, connect a 2 nf capacitor as a load across A and B and switch on the supply. Measure the voltage across these points. It should be around 80 to 120V. The brightness of the Electroluminescent (EL) element depends on the voltage that is applied to it.

Shum

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is no interference heard over the audio system (with external amplifier).

inverter.JPG