C64 Optimized PSU Eagle Board

m00dawg

No need to worry about the resitance test. If the bridge is soldered correctly you'll get a pretty massive resistance anyway.

I'd advise you check and double and triple check polarity of the bridge, the electros, the regulator, your connections...

any chance of a photo?

Sure, I can provide some photos when I get home from work later today. The part that is baffling though is why my old PSU board worked and now it doesn't. Unless a connection has gone bad somewhere, I don't see how that is possible. But hopefully pictures can help explain what I am doing wrong :)

So my apologies as I didn't get around to photos yet, but I think I have ruled it down to the C64 PSU brick itself and here's why:

If I hook up a standard switchable power brick, I end up with positive voltage at the end of the circuit. I can't remember the exact voltage but it was around 9VDC which is to be expected without adding in the 5VDC. This weekend I think I'm going to try using two wall adapters or otherwise find something that can generate 5VDC and try both adapters together to see if I end up with 5V and 14V using that. If so, it's gotta be the C64 PSU.

Now I did try some isolated tests using my protoboard. If I remove everything but the bridge rectifier, I end up with 7-8VDC after the rectifier. If I add in the 2200uF cap, it drops down to 1-2V. So, it's possible my caps could be bad as well (going to order more of those just in case since you never know when they might come in handy anyway).

I'll let you guys know once I work on things a bit more and can post some pictures of the tests (just ran out of time yesterday).