Encoder + small Knobs - Found! And they are DAMN good!

Futureman

You can be sure these are standard 16mm rotary encoders that are probably produced by SoundWell or another Chinese manufacturer:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10184.0.html

If you like the knobs then go for it, if you don't like the knobs, then your choices for different ones are limited because they are spline shaft... most of the knobs sold through bulk orders here will not fit, as they're meant to fit D-shaft.

If you like the knobs then go for it, if you don't like the knobs, then your choices for different ones are limited because they are spline shaft... most of the knobs sold through bulk orders here will not fit, as they're meant to fit D-shaft.

Cheers for you prompt reply!

The knob issue has been a bit of a sore point for me.. lots of knobs out there I like.. none fit (Too big) my sequencers..

(I missed out on the group buy for the albs ones)

These silver knobs will look pimpin on my silver sequencer with silver push buttons and silver LED bezels.. (Did I mention that it's silver?)

I'm also having issues (And my friends) with the encoders we are using.. they don't seem that durable to the use we are giving them..  we are being pretty gentle with them.. but we use them lots..

I'm hoping these will suit us better.

Regards

Mike

Recieved today, And my first impression is whoaa  :o .. these feel really really good.. Professional...

They are detended, and feel like they are 24 clicks per full rotation.

I don't have the specs for them, so I'll play around with my sequencer and see if they work "As is".

I'll report back with my findings.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't click the link, but will- I'm pretty sure that these are the silver knob'd encoders from China, right? I was looking at those as well, for the MB6582, but they sound like they're too small.

Smash's encoders don't fit the 6582 Base board. I just received a $1.00 encoder from goldmine-elec.com that fits the large encoder footprint on the Base board, but upon disassembing it, find that it uses three contacts against a notched ring- you'll lose contact if you change it, so it will always have detents. It also has a switch (press the shaft). Shame- they're cheap. The Chinese encoders don't look like they'll fit (but you're using them on a SEQ, right? Yeah, those knobs will look NICE...)

Goldmine part G13018, if anyone's interested.

I am about to buy these very soon... did you have a lot of trouble soldering them by hand? I am not even sure what is wave soldering...

So regarding the size, if I am to have 16 encoders in 4 rows, what would be the minimum size panel space they would occupy in your opinion? I am trying to figure out if I will be able to have them on a commodore 64 but I did not receive the one I won on Ebay... 10.50 + 10 postage, sweet...

Thanx!

minimum spacing would be about 17mm (I had mine at a 18mm spacing to line up with the LCD)

however, if you were really keen, you could squeeze it down to 16mm.

No trouble soldering them by hand, just be careful.. as usual.

wave soldering is more of an industrial process, not for us DIYers.

Regards

Mike