BankStick Board Design

napierzaza

I noticed there was no Eagle board design for the Bankstick, hardly even a schematic that's easily readable due to the resolution of the image. So here is my Bankstick design if anyone is interested. You can post it on the bankstick page if you wish. Hopefully it will help someone out.

Note: I like the long and thin design because it goes along side the Core nicely, though I've never made a full eight. Five is about the length of the Core module.

3527_Picture_1_png79511fe46093cb840bb165

Bankstick.zip

Well, if you didn't find a BankStick board on the forums, you probably didn't search enough :) I actually made one of my own (forum post is here) and recently got it back from BatchPCB. I haven't had time to test it though since I busted my power supply, whoops. That and my ground plane got split due to routing wires a bit too close together. So looks like I'll need to make a version v1.1 :)

But getting back on topic, I definitely like your board design. I had been thinking of rotating the chips horizontally since it figured it would be easier to wire up (mine are in 2 rows vertically). The two suggestions I have are to consider mounting holes and to look at adjust the position of the top (red) wires for pin 2 and 3 as they look close to the pads of E$8.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have no use for holes myself. But that's just the way I've been mounting my boards, as well as just how I've been using my banksticks. I just twist wire around them to secure them inside my case.

I saw you board, but it's very complicated, with two sides. I don't need the plugs or anything like that. I figured if people want a dead-simple small bankstick they can use mine, or not.

In my own experience, it's worth it to take the few hours to make a board though, I was having quite a time with my last stick that was a rats nest proto board. Figured it might help someone else.

I have no use for holes myself. But that's just the way I've been mounting my boards, as well as just how I've been using my banksticks. I just twist wire around them to secure them inside my case.

Ah well that's a clever idea! Indeed the holes take up some bit of room but, at least in my design, it adds a bit of finish to the look. Of course, then again, my MB-SID is currently in a Shoebox, so how "finished" can it really be :P

In my own experience, it's worth it to take the few hours to make a board though, I was having quite a time with my last stick that was a rats nest proto board. Figured it might help someone else.

I completely agree! That's why I started having my own boards printed. I mean the space gained alone makes it worth it (since my designs on protoboards are often much larger than they need to be). I didn't see one last I looked, but it would be awesome if the Wiki had a section dedicated to board layouts and schematics (linked off the main page even) so people could potentially re-use other's work. I know that's a concern for some of the boards (such as CORE or Wilba's 6582 boards) due to someone trying to re-sell kits, but for smaller boards, I think it'd be awesome.

I didn't see one last I looked, but it would be awesome if the Wiki had a section dedicated to board layouts and schematics (linked off the main page even) so people could potentially re-use other's work. I know that's a concern for some of the boards (such as CORE or Wilba's 6582 boards) due to someone trying to re-sell kits, but for smaller boards, I think it'd be awesome.

Agreed, as long as there is some space for user comments such as " I built this one and it is great, thanks" or "I found this error, watch out" As it is, at least on the ucapps.de site you know it has been tested and built by many.

Still a good Idea though, and possibly expand to include front panels and libraries for EAGLE/KiCAD

Yes, and perhaps also a disclaimer since these boards are much less "official" than those of SmashTV and ucapps. Nonetheless, we all seem to be doing similar things and, instead of reinventing the wheel every time, seems like we could really use a Wiki, or some sort of community driven system, to our advantage.

I didn't see one last I looked, but it would be awesome if the Wiki had a section dedicated to board layouts and schematics (linked off the main page even) so people could potentially re-use other's work. I know that's a concern for some of the boards (such as CORE or Wilba's 6582 boards) due to someone trying to re-sell kits, but for smaller boards, I think it'd be awesome.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/cadsoft_eagle#libraries