Measurements of the ALPS Encoders

pay_c

I got two "EC16B" encoders from farnell (expensive) 733-751 (24ppr, detented, I pulled one apart to find this out!! and subsequently modified it into a non-detented type!), and when I ordered them, they told me that they were a discontinued item, so check you can still get them before designing your box!! anyway, the actual shaft is a funny size, not 6.35mm diameter (1/4"), like every other pot shaft I have ever seen, but 6mm diameter, making the knobs I used run slightly off center! (still works ok) I saw a good datasheet on the net somewhere, but I can't remember where!! anyway, the main body of the encoder  is 16mm wide, and 21mm long, including all the protrusions (a pokey bit is meant to go into another tiny hole to stop the whole encoder from spinning around, but I filed this bit off). 9mm mounting hole, the body ("square") part is 6.5-7.5 mm thick, depending on whether you have vertical or horizontal version.

I hope this helps

(you may find data on Farnell website?)

hi pay_c,

the point with these encoders is that alps has made different versions of them, i guess depending where you live.

i got mine from schuricht in germany and they don´t have a nipple underneath the schaft.

But the pinout  compared to the official datasheet from there site is different though. thats why thorsten always has the little extra drawing for the alps stecB on his din_in pdf´s.

The datasheet posted above is absolutly correct.

chriss