Help MIOS Wont stop flashing!!!1

Sephult

I've gotten my box up and built, the mios has been upload.

I keep seeing the MIOS pop up on the LCD, and I can't get any applications to load.  

Is there something I am missing?

If anyone has any advice, I could use it.

so you burned in the bootstrap loader, and uploaded the mios over sysex? (just trying to establish if midi ports are working)

Yes! It is somewhat strange. I initially forgot to set the F7 delay and was having problems with the MIOS, but finally it worked, so the MIDI IN is working.

I've tried to do the MIOS test that was given at the bottom of the Introduction. No luck, I sent the message, but no reply. I might want to recheck the MIDI out, but initially I could see the pic keep sending the code that it was working.

I figured since the MIOS had uploaded and was flashing on and off on the LCD that it was more than likely working.

As for applications, I cannot get a checksum on the input from the MIOS. Just keeps flashing MIOS v1.3 by mr Tk himself.

Thanks for trying to help,

-Sephult

OK! I am a little farther than I was before.

I believe MIOS is correctly uploaded, I can get the verification back but not 100% of the time. I believe this is due to the toggling of the LCD.

I am now seeing MIOS © and Ready.... Toggling between eachother.  I have uploaded the j5_Dout app, and for the first time I saw the message

MIOS Rebooting.....

The App pops up, but still it toggles between © and the app. I have noticed that when you turn the contrast completely up, it usually freezes. When turned down for a little bit the toggling seems to continue again. I have been unable to get any DIN/DOUT working yet, but I did measure .4 volts at RC whenever the app was on the LCD screen. It seemed to go 0 on the toggle.

I am unsure what this might be. I had tried to run a lab PSU into the MB and give some more current, but it seems to be the same,  I had probably given about 400ma or so of current.

I was also wondering what voltages might be read for the Xstal? I have seen about .9 on pin 13 and like 2 volts on pin 14, wondering if my Xstal might have stability problems?

The only other thing I can think of is the optocoupler, but would this cause a reset of the pic? And if so how was I able to get MIOS uploaded, and the apps uploaded?

Well I hope I can get this running!!!!!

Please help!!!

_Sephult

Hi Sephult,

is your core unit running in the meantime?

Another user reported exactly the same problem, but we were not able to locate the root cause. It could be the MIDI interface of your PC or a bad soldering on the PCB - i'm unsure. The XTAL shouldn't be a problem if you were able to upload MIOS once. Even more a short circuit somewhere?

In the MIOS download section you can now find a CRC test program which calculates an overall checksum over the operating system range. If you are using it with the most recent MIOS V1.3 (which has been updated in the meantime), you should see the value "FD45" on the LCD screen.

It might also help to increase the SysEx output buffer size to 2048. This change is (for example) required for the MBHP USB module due to a bug in the microsoft USB driver which inserts some zeroes into the stream if it doesn't fit into one buffer.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello Thorsten!

Yes my core is running, it cycles the correct sysex also.

As for soldering, I am using a solderless breadboard, so I am going to check my connections thoroughly again today. I felt the same about the Xstal, but hey it doesn't hurt to wonder. Got to love troubleshooting.

Thank you soooo much for the CRC. I believe now that it either is a bad transfer due to Midi OX buffers, or a hardware problem. I was always wondering if MIOS was actually corrupt or not. I will keep you informed about the CRC and I should have another post today. Maybe I can post a solution for Robin303's problem and Mine.  

Thanks a Ton!

-Sephult

OK Here is an update of where I stand:

Reburn PIC and verified the cycles.

Uploaded MIOS at 2048 * 4 @ 750 (Took a couple times)

Uploaded CRC and produced FD45

Had problems uploading J5_dout app.

After a couple buffer changes I was able to get 256 * 8 @750ms to work.

It seems that I still have fast toggling between © and other screens. Now it seems to hold on © for 1 sec then 2 secs on app screen.

I have been able to light some LEDs when app showed up, but timing is extremely sluggish.

I can now verify that I am getting some correct uploads, but stability is low and the system seems to keep restarting itself.

I have not changed the apps at this time, and will keep some info as I go.

Thanks for the CRC app Thorsten!!!!

I had a couple questions regarding these problems I am having now. I am wondering if any faults or isolation problems at the optocoupler would cause a reboot on the pic. If not maybe I am having 2 problems. I was also wondering the  tolerance needed for the resistors on the optocoupler. What effects could be noticed if resistance was dead on compared to the stability of a value different from those on the schematic.  

Well back to troubleshooting-

Thanks everyone

Best Regards

-Sephult

• 2 weeks later...

I see.

So kind of the opposite problem to mine - the system does not reboot after receiving a new app via sysex. Well, it's not so bad because the basic functionality is there - it's just that I have to switch off and on again to have the new app up and running. Still, I guess it's a minor problem  :)

Regards, ilmenator