New member, basic questions

Nat

Hello, I'm new and am planning on building a device.  I just ordered the sample PIC18...  at microchip.

My goal is to build something with 16 encoders + ledrings, 8 faders and 32 buttons.  Can the current design allow this ?  Should I wait for more info about the midibox LC/NG ?

Thanks,

Nat

Why more info? There is enough here at the forum, you can build that LC right away.

btw: 16 Enc = 32 DINs + 32 Buttons = 64 DINs.

Yes, this is indeed possible, just check the MIOS site for more info.

But I would perhaps stick to the LC design instead of creating a new MIOS app.

Ok, I Just understood some things.

My goal is not to emulate the Logic Control but to have a controller following my own specs.

So, that means I need to program MIOS myself ?

Is it very hard ?

Thanks

My goal is to control both Cubase and Soft synths (reaktor, absynth)

So motorized faders is a big plus I guess.

Also, since I want to control soft synths that's why I wanted more rotary encoders.  However, if someone can explain me the layer and shift fuctions, that could make me change my mind.

Also, with the LC, will I be able to use all the functions in programs that don't support it but use a midi learn fuction (abelton live, reaktor)

Thanks,

Nat

I will try to explain the little help I know how to offer...

Note that the LC is only really for using Logic Audio.

Try to get info on the housten controller, read reviews... do a search on google, see if it will help your cubase needs (for cubase SX only, not sure about SL)

I haven't worked out how to use the "General Purpose Layer" yet, but apparently you can switch from the LC emulation (not sure about Housten) to another mode which is probably more like a normal midibox, but I don't really know much, sorry.

For softsynths, yes, encoders are the way to go.

I hope someone else can give more advice than I can...

Hi Nat,

You do not need to learn to program for MIOS, just use the ready made applications and adapt it to your needs, but you do need to read up and understand the apps and the user parameters that can be changed.

For example :-

the LC emulation application can be used in Mackie Control emulation mode which is supported by Cubase SX by changing the machine ID parameter in "main.asm"

file. Thats all you need to do and you will have control over cubase sx mixer, eq, fx, vstplugins, maybe some supported vst softsynthes and transport control and others.  If you can wait Thorsten will be porting MB16E and MB64 for the MIOS platform later on in the year. You can use this for Synthe control and anything midi your heart desires cos they have midi learn funtion. But if you cant wait, you can construct MB16E and MB64 for Pic16F877 now. They're not difficult projects and they have midi learn functions so you can control any  synthe or vst plugins but maybe less features than the upcoming ports. So read up on all the different apps features and learn what its all about and you'll discover there's really no need to program your own app. Thorsten has given us a range of wonderful toys to play with and you'll not find a more wonderful and helpful bunch of people than the geeks here.

Read up and ask more questions if you need to and enjoy your stay here

Peace

Frank

Hi Nat,

The documentation for Midibox LC is not done yet but if you're gonna use it in Mackie Control mode for cubase SX then whatever support Steinberg has for Mackie Control you will also have those features when using Thorsten's MB LC/MC emulation plus some additional features not fully documented yet. Please check Mackie's Site for PDF on Mackie Control for Cubase SX or Steinbergs site. Info on additional features like layer changes and others can be found in this forum by doing a search for the relevant threads.

Peace

Frank

Hi Nat,

The documentation for Midibox LC is not done yet but if you're gonna use it in Mackie Control mode for cubase SX then whatever support Steinberg has for Mackie Control you will also have those features when using Thorsten's MB LC/MC emulation plus some additional features not fully documented yet. Please check Mackie's Site for PDF on Mackie Control for Cubase SX or Steinbergs site. Info on additional features like layer changes and others can be found in this forum by doing a search for the relevant threads.

Peace

Frank

Finnaly I decided I'd do a Midibox 16E.  This is my first project so I guess I'll start with something more smooth.

The problem is I ordered the PIC18..... from microchip....

So what's the solution ?  Should I get the PIC16 (wait 2 months) or should I wait till the Midibox16e is ported to MIOS ?

Thanks,

Nat

Guest Xcen

Salut Nat et bienvenue!

I'm not the only quebecer anymore hehe

Well I guess it depends on how much time you will take to build the whole thing... (think about it... with the box and panel, if you wanna do something nice it could take some time...)

TK said he'd port the MB64 in about 3 months (maybe more) so if you take 5 months to build the thing (I give myself a whole year!) the port to mios should already be available when you finish your box....

I said mb64 but port is planned for mb16e as well, I just don't know when...

I'd say go for mios since it will give you maximum flexibility....

as for PIC it depends... either build your first modules without the pics (you'll have a few to do and you will have to wait for the shipping of those as well, I'd recommend you order from SmashTV) so 2 months won't be that long since you won't be able to use the box before that anywayz...

hope that answers some of your questions!

edit: duh just read you already had the 18f :) just go on with MIOS then... I'd do that

I'll start soldering the PCBs and gathering all the parts, and when I'm done i'll see if I want to use the PIC16 or PIC18.  The only problem I have now is finding non detented encoders for the 16E at a good price.

Do you shop some stuff in Montreal are only online ?

Guest Xcen

I haven't started shopping for encoders yet

(I'm gonna use those in a mb64 custom design...)

as for the parts I'm waiting for my next paycheck... I plan to go see at addison's or at king-georges electronics (south shore) to see if I can get the pieces for the core module... I'll keep you informed if they have it... otherwise, mouser ships to canada...