TIP: Copy/Paste in Eagle

smashtv

Hey all!

With Eagle's less than intuitive interface, some of the basic functions are cryptic at best, like copy & paste.  I probably wasted a few hours without copy/paste when I started with Eagle, so here is how you do it:

This works in the schematic and board windows, but keep in mind that in the board view the "origin" layer(s) need to be visible for copy/paste/move to work properly.  This is layer 23 for a single-sided board, and 23 and 24 for double sided.

First click the selection tool:

eaglehlp1.gif

Then select the area you want to copy,

Then select the Cut tool:

eaglehlp2.gif

And the weird part, Eagle does not actually copy the selection until you click the traffic light icon at the top:

eaglehlp3.gif

Finally click the paste tool:

eaglehlp4.gif

and place the copy where you want it.

Let me know if this tip was helpful to you, and I'll dig up a few more.....  : )

Have fun!

SmashTV

Hi Smash TV

Thanks for the tip. I have spent many hours trying to do this with no luck. Another trick up my sleeve will be helpful.

Any other hints for Eagle would be recived with gratitude

How about a VERY basic tutoral with all the basic functions? It could encrouge others to have a go at designing their own boards for pots and buttons (We both know most of the good quailty conponents need to be mounted on  PCB's)

Thanks once again

Rowan

How about a VERY basic tutoral with all the basic functions?
Hehe, my thought process is way too scattered for that, I would'nt know where to start! ;)

I could hammer out a simple layout tutorial style though, let me see what I can come up with.....  :)

Have Fun!

SmashTV