Floppy connectors

cimo

dscf0003hv2.jpg

I had this weird PC cable, laying around, i think it is for floppy disks, it s got these connectors that will accept perfectly a pcb inside, so that they could be used to make a multi-pin connection from board to board or even to stack boards on top of each other (base+cs, etc)

Interesting... I may be needing to use some of these in a prject. Any ideas where they can be bought from?

I've got some used ones in stock ready cabled. Memo me if you want one. They are the old 5.25" Floppy disc drive connectors. Sometimes you find a little PCB with a 34way IDC style header on it, for converting one of the then new-fangled 3.5" drives to 5.25" cable format.

I've got some used ones in stock ready cabled. Memo me if you want one. They are the old 5.25" Floppy disc drive connectors. Sometimes you find a little PCB with a 34way IDC style header on it, for converting one of the then new-fangled 3.5" drives to 5.25" cable format.

Was wondering if there's a way to solder them to a board.... otherwise, maybe super-glueJB weld? I'm trying to find a way of connecting the PCBS for the elektor vocoder.... The plugs/sockets they used are a bit hard to find (read that as I've not found them anywhere!)

Also, the cable side can be soldered directly to a PCB.

This means that the spacing of the metal thingies that normally cut through the ribbon cable corresponds to 2,54 mm. This is perfect for single-sided grid style PCBs. (On the other side of the PCB the metal thingies are also spaced 2,54 mm, but with an offset of 1,27 mm. If you are using etched double-sided PCBs, this is not a problem, though.)

Was wondering if there's a way to solder them to a board.... otherwise, maybe super-glueJB weld? I'm trying to find a way of connecting the PCBS for the elektor vocoder.... The plugs/sockets they used are a bit hard to find (read that as I've not found them anywhere!)

Put a 34 way in line IDC on the cable and a 34 way pin header on your board. If you're using them for SD cards, you only need one side, I think.

This means that the spacing of the metal thingies that normally cut through the ribbon cable corresponds to 2,54 mm. This is perfect for single-sided grid style PCBs. (On the other side of the PCB the metal thingies are also spaced 2,54 mm, but with an offset of 1,27 mm. If you are using etched double-sided PCBs, this is not a problem, though.)

not quite true, you can always drill a hole in a single layer board (via alike) and solder the bottom side with a 0,00005% tolerance cut resistor lead.