GM5 half-case

Sasha

I`m not sure how to call it. Maybe, PCB protector.  :P

I don`t like dragging around exposed GM5 all the time, so I made this simple and cheap half box. It is laser cut acrylic, but it can be easily hand made out of any material. My laserman cut it out of white acrylic by mistake, so it looks like it is designed to go nice with Mac accessories, but that wasn`t my intention. It should be made out of smoked transparent acrylic, but what the heck.

3121389260_aa4030ab80.jpg

3120563033_ab818d6a2c.jpg

3120563577_048cabedc7.jpg

3121391538_22135de6f6.jpg

Thank you all.

...Why did you get this one laser cut? Isn't that expensive?...

Madox, this is really small piece to cut, and just 3mm thick, so machine really cuts it quickly. I construct all I can using laser cutter. I have my own laserman who gives me discount for personal projects because he thinks I have some cool ideas. How nice is that?  :)

If I`m right, you are, like Stryd and Wilba from Australia too. There is a cool service in your neighbourhood - New Zeland, that you could try. Check out www.ponoko.com

Thanks. Cost depends only which service you are using for cutting. I changed few of them, and the price difference is huge. As cutting is charged by time, some services are cutting with low power/speed so machine work much longer and they charged more it should. To cut 2 pieces like these (3mm thick), it takes about 1 minute in worst case.

The only online service I know is the one I linked below. Send them an email and I`m sure you`ll get quick answer. I met the owner over flickr, and he seamed a cool guy.

Anyway, this piece is really easy to make the same if you cut that acrylic by hand. It is square, so you wan`t get anything if you do it using laser. You can make it in a half an hour including sanding and assembling. To me it was easier, as I already cut something so I add this to the batch.

Anyway, this piece is really easy to make the same if you cut that acrylic by hand. It is square, so you wan`t get anything if you do it using laser. You can make it in a half an hour including sanding and assembling.

I imagine getting the round edges look exact the same could be a bit difficult by hand..

I imagine getting the round edges look exact the same could be a bit difficult by hand..

Not really, I did the same before, many times. Mostly with plywood and MDF. If you screw two boards together before sanding you can make this job even easier. Try to do it with some scrap piece of acrilic. It only depends of your manual skills. Good thing.. as corner radius isn`t fixed value, you can correct eventual errors many times till you get it right.  :)