MB-6582 #17 reporting for dance floor duty.

Jason Milstead

I actually finished this one to about 99% 3 months ago and just now had the time to complete this unit.

One of the major problems I had was with the original C64 power supply I was using. I since got a hold of a C128 one

and just switched out the output power cords. Why Commodore ever decided to use those d@mmed black bricks of

gray resin is beyond my imaginative powers! Anywho, besides frying the first LCD I plugged in (I did something stupid

and connected pin 1 of the LCD to pin 1 on the PCB, then pin 2 to pin 2 and so on. The sizzling smoke told me to go

back to the wiki and read some more!) the thing booted up without a hitch. This is actually the second project I've

ever soldered (the first one being a x0xb0x (I figured I'd practice my skillz on that than ruin the MB-6582!)). All I did

was read the forums and the wiki. Now I'm rockin' it 1989 style! Thanks to all the hard work you guys have put into

actualizing this monster of a synth. Much respect to Wilba, TK and Smash. Without your global efforts, this would

not have happened!

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Hi and congrats audioguru42!... another one on the green side ;)

Can I ask wtf have you done with the green paint? :P

My first thought: "this guy's camera has some color problems", then: "ohhh wait, he got custom panel and knobs!" and then "ahh, hand painted" hehee.

a little bit "non-pro" but still interesting... and you took the 4 corner screws safety feeling to a whole new level, good job!

Now... who's next?

btw. Wilba, do you know how many are alive?

Very cool.

If I ever did a green/black one, I was planning to tint some white Waldorf knobs, making the white parts green, and so making it a green/black version of the last one (the red/black TK special). So it's very cool to see someone else doing it, and how good it looks.

Congratulations!

SS: I don't know how many are alive. I think people finish them and have too much fun with it to post pictures or email me... I don't blame them, MB-SID V2 is very addictive.

Can I ask wtf have you done with the green paint?

Yes, you may! The green paint is Rust-Oleum's "Key Lime" spray paint.

I wanted a color that matched the wavelength of the LEDs and LCD and the original red of the Waldorf knobs,

while beautiful in their own right, would not do. So, after some experimenting, I found that this particular spray

paint flakes very easily from the black rubber of the knob, yet holds pretty tight to the red (I'm assuming ABS)

plastic. So, with an X-Acto knife and some patience, I got a fairly good approximation of what I wanted.

I also masked the white strips of the front panel with the same paint to match the knobs.

When you glance at it sideways from 3 feet, you can't tell. But when you look at it close up (as in the photos),

yeah, it's hand done. Not professional, but it's mine and it still sounds sweet!  :D

I hope to make another MB-6582-esque synth in the next couple of months. Red lights, silver panel, wooden bookends.

Now if I could just find the right kind of knobs...

Wow.. your pictures are in focus!

Looking good, what did you use to dye the knobs?

It's the same Rust-Oleum's "Key Lime" spray paint. On and off, it took me about a week to do.

I just sprayed the entire knob solid green, waited for it to dry (about a day), then cut and scraped

the excess off the black rubber part. Sounds difficult, but it was just tedious. Once cut, the paint

pretty much flaked off of the rubber with the pressure of a fingernail, yet stuck to the red plastic.

As for this pics, I used a tripod.  ;)

Very nice!!

I like the day-glo paintjob. I'm thinking, if I ever make another MB-6582, I might do it in white. I've seen some nice black-on-white LCDs, but actually, blue LEDs and LCD also look nice in a white background. I decided to go with a blue-on-black scheme this time around mainly because it seems to be really hard to get hold of reasonably-priced 20x4 LCD character displays in anything other than white-on-blue, but next time I'll make more of an effort to source one in the colour I really want, I think.

Good work!

a|x