Questions on SID V2 conversion of not quite completed SID V1

tomtiki

I have some older versions of the SID and CORE cards and need some guidance on how I should proceed. I have been looking at various PDFs and web pages, but am still have some questions. I'm pretty sure I want to upgrade to SID V2. I'm coming back to this after a fairly long break.

NOTE : after writing this (everything below), I found a link to this web page :

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_up.html

which clears up some stuff, but I have other questions...continuing

I bought the CORE and SID modules from Smash TV (a while ago). They are :

- CORE R3

- SID R2

These have been built. I have modded/updated the boards as such :

- CORE R3 - jumper from PIC pin 17 to CLK pin on J10

- SID R2 - Removed XTAL, jumper from SID CLK input to CLK pin on J2/CLK

I've got the older PIC 18F452 chip with the 1.7 firmware. At this point, I'm thinking any further mods are only needed if I want to do the SID V2, which requires a processor upgrade. Any reason I shouldn't?

I also have a DIN R2 which has not been built yet. From the notes on Smash TV's site, it looks like I just need to add bypass caps, but it looks like J4,J6,J8,J10 have been moved to the other side of the chips.

Perhaps I should just get a new DIN PC board while I am ordering a new PIC?

Here's where my confusion starts.

This page on the SID module:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_sid_old.html

Raises some questions :

-The CLK pin once connected to the J10/CLK appears to now be routed back to the CORE via the middle pin on J7 (which is connected to the same pin on the PIC).

Does this need to be changed?

-How can I use a 1:1 connection from SID J2 --> CORE J10 with a wire (blue on the diagram) going from J2/SC to J10/MD?

-The web page shows power for the SID coming from CORE/J2. This does not appear to correlate with the pictures lower on the web page showing a regular jumper cable going from SID J2 to Core J10

On the CORE, I think I just need to add the R12 pullup from J4/SC.

Questions concerning power :

I am building this into a chassis I salvaged that already has a +5v/+12v regulated power supply built in.

It looks like I should remove the 7805 on CORE and replace it with a jumper between pins 1 and 3. OK so far?

Then similarly replace the 7812 on SID with a jumper across pins 1 and 3.

It looks like the 5V is being passed from CORE to SID via J2.

Since my power supply is +5, +12 with a common ground, are there any other changes I should make? Do I need to remove the bridge rectifiers?

Thanks for your help with this.

--tom