MB6582 Control surface problem

Acid303

Hi,

i have a little problem with the control surface of the MB6582. I have not finished the CS so far, i still have to fill in the encorders and the LEDs.

But i have soldered in all switches and connected the CS board with the base PCB just to check if the switches are working the right way. But they aren't. I can push any switch and it reacts in nearly the same way but not the way it should. I have the feeling that it is a ground problem, because it doesn't matter which switch i press, it just reacts the same way. Sometimes the LFO changes, sometimes when i press a switch the display changes to the filter section and so on...i hope you see what the point is?

Now my question: Do i have to solder in all parts first so that everything is connected at least to ground? So, is it necessary that everything is soldered in to work the right way? Or do the switches have to work the right way, even if the encoders and the LEDs aren't soldered in yet? BTW, the only thing that woorks perfectly is the menu encoder...

Any hints?

Thanks..

Please describe what you have not soldered or connected.

The switches rely on all the 74HC595 installed, the resistors and transistors on the far left installed, and connected to the CS PCB. Also all the diodes need to be installed.

If the menu encoder works, then you've obviously connected ground to the CS PCB (far right), as this requires ground. The switches do not require ground because they're part of a matrix (in a sense, each column of switches is "grounded" by the 74HC595 and one transistor at a time).

Also, all switches need to be connected because some tracks use two pins of a switch that are internally connected to bridge over other tracks.

1st thanks for your fast answers :)

OK, just figured out that one cable of JD8 is disconnected :( Have to fix that first...

transitors and resistors are installed on the far left...all switches are installed (i guess it doesn't matter which way i put them in?), also all diodes are installed, the menu encoder is installed and all JDs are connected to the base pcb...not installed are the LEDs and the rest of the encoders...

But i see now that i have a massive problem with my cables from the CS pcb to the base pcb...some connections seem to be broken...have to fix that 1st and see if the problem still occurs...will keep you informed ...

Once again..it seems that if i press a button (switch) he (the OS) recognise that a button is being pressed but he doesn't know which one, so a random parameter appears in the display...

:)

Just fixed the connections but the problem still exists :(

I press a button and it seems like random...i now have to go to work, will continue this afternoon...

OK, back from work, but i still got no clue what is wrong...

Wilba, you were talking about 74HC595 for the switches? I thought the 74HC165 are for the switches and the 74HC595 are for the LEDs?

Just some more details:

Menu encoders works 100% :)

So it is a matter of the switch matrix...here is what happens:

If pressing the menu switch one time: The display changes to OSCILLATOR SELECT (i guess, not really sure, could also be ??) sometimes it changes to "Modulation", but it only changes from Oscillator to Modulation)

If pressing FILTER MODE: It changes to Filter, then Modulation (M7), then to Low Freq.OSC L1, then back to Filter

If pressing FILTER(01,02,03): It changes to Low Frq.Osc L2, then to L3, L4,L5, then to Filter, then Modulation (M6), but not always in that order, sometimes L6, then Filter again, then Modulation , and so on...

If pressing Ext.in: Filter, Knobs K#1, Modulation (M8), Oscillator,

If pressing ENVELOPE: Envelope E1, Envelope E2, sometimes it changes to Modulation (M5)

Pressing CONTROL: Modulation M7, Filter, Low Frq.Osc, L2,

Pressing WAVEFORM: Oscillat SID3 not available (CAN Bus Errors)

Pressing SELECT #5? (the most right switch) : Envelope E1, E2, sometimes Modulation

SELECT #4 (left from #5): Oscillator, Modulation M4

SELECT #3: SID2 not available

Select #2: SID3 not available

SELECT #1: SID4 not available

Maybe you now get an idea of what is wrong?

Checked...no, they are inserted in the right way....dot in square :) 6pin resistors...i also changed the 74HC165, i had some left...

There must be just a little mistake that i have to find...i bet that it is just a little thing :) tricky...

the switches are reacting...but not in the right order...

Just soldered in Cutoff and Resonance encoders...100% working...

But what about those switches...just uploaded RC28 without a problem but still the same problem...

ANy other tip for me ? what else should i check? The encoders are working perfectly...all connections of the JDs are ok (checked with a multimeter, every contact is ok), every switch responds when pressed, just not the right parameter...ok, if i press the Filter Mode it changes the filter mode, but it also changes to LFO and so on...looked at the matrix, maybe it "goes" from left to right in the switch matrix? (hope you know what i mean) :)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OK friends :) I GOT IT !!!!!

Just changed the 74HC595 (i had 4 new ones left ;) AND...it works perfect :)

Seems that one of those 595 is faulty...i am very glad now...i thought about this problem the whole last night and day :)

Thanks for your help so far ...

Cheers,

Axel aka Acid303

I love those posts :)

Seems that one of those 595 is faulty.

But are you sure?... If you are right, do you know which one?...

The answer to both of these questions is "no", and that's why you will benefit from making one change at a time. You might like to click the 'troubleshoot!' link in my signature for more handy hints ;)

Thanks...I will keep your troubleshooting guide in mind...i hope i don't need it anymore ;)

Just jammed a bit with the MB6582 and seems to work 100% now.  have to solder in the rest of the encoders and the LEDs (which are quite a lot ;))

Also hoping that Doug will soon offer me a panel for the MB...got the PT10 case waiting for it...

I'd like to say a big thank you to wilba for building the MB, because about 3 years ago i built a midibox sid with all these modular pcbs and always wished that it would be just one single PCB :) Wilba, you made my dream come true ;)

Cheers