multi SSM filter box

matoz

Hello All,

My project is a multi filter box. I have 5 SSM2044 seppo boards and i' d like to use them as 6 mono filters et 2 stereo one. And i' d like to have 6cut/6Q mono and 2cut/2Q stereo on a control surface so 16 pot in Ain module. But how should I connect ssm seppo boards in one core? I thought i should use an AOUT module with a SHX8 to have my 20 CV out. And use MB64 Appli.

Is it right?

Is it possible to link several AoutNG on one core?

Thanks

as far as i know the best application to use the ssm circuits with is the sid V2 because you can control the ssm even without a sid connected. but i don't know how it is done exactly.

i also don't know how many AOUT_NGs you can control with one core, i think i'll have to read the ssm2044 thread again, i think i have already read that question there...

yes, thanks i saw it, but i' d like to have 16 dedicated pot to control filters.

I could use 3 core and 3 Aout NG on them with mbsid V2 Appli but i think it it  will be very hard modify MBSID V2 to have the control surface of 16 pot.

What about MB64, one AIN , one core , one Aout and one SHX8?

i haven't read that much about the normal AOUT module and SHX8. but i think it should already work with MB64 and MBCV.

but the ssm thread says that the sid option is much more powerful than the mbcv because of the modulation matrix or having the filters controlled by the env, full automation. you could still turn the knobs as well.

i don't know if it is possible to reassign 16 encoders to control 8 mono or at least 4 stereo ext, but if not you still could use 1 core for 1 pair of encoders

i still don't know more, but i'd like to find out more about it too...

if i understand this right, you can hook 4 AOUT_NG modules on 1 MBsid V2.

I said (or rather, confirmed) you have to use 4 AOUT_NGs on a mb-6582, that's a difference. So in case of a mb-6582, you've got 4 Core modules on one PCB and every one of them would be connected to a NG. MBSID can only control one NG per core, you can't chain them.

The MBSID app is a good way of controlling filters because you get envelopes/LFOs that can be triggered by Midi events. As long as you're not using the complete regular sound engine for all filters and you want to save on Cores and NGs, you could also connect two of the ssm pcbs to one NG. That means you'd not use the regular Cutoff/Resonance controls of MBSID for the second pair of filters but access the CV channels via the AOUT menu and/or the modulation matrix.

But regarding the original post:

First, the SHX8 module is using chips that are obsolete, i.e. almost impossible to get.

Then, do you want full Midi control over the filters or only a filter box with realtime control, i.e. only live knob tweaking (that's possible without even using Midibox stuff)? If Midi, would you need the additional ENV/LFO/MOD stuff that MBSID is capable of or is regular automation sufficient? In that case you could also think about building a little MB64 as just a Midi controller and two MBCVs that are receiving control data from either the mb64 or a computer/sequencer. Two because you could connect the two cutoffs and resonance inputs of the stereo filters together to just one pair of Cv outputs.

Ok enough brainstorming for today ;)

S

Thanks Seppoman,

So, if i understand well, for my project, i should use 2 MBCV (2 core+2Aout NG) and control them with a little Mb64 (core with Ain and 16 pots).

I just want a real time control but i think if i want i can recording pot movements in mbseq and automatize them.