MB-6582 Panel Modification Questions

m00dawg

So I've opted to throw in the towel on putting my MB-SID inside a C64 case - at least for now. I've got a limited time to finish some of my projects (baby on the way!) so I've had to put a few ideas on hold.

So, I plan on making a more standard MB-6582, but with a few modifications. One, I was curious as to if anyone has drilled screw-holes on the front panel instead of using JB Weld. I thought I saw an MB-6582 on the forums where someone did that but I can't seem to find it after a good bit of searching. I figured this would end up being easier and, really, I don't mind screws on the front panel as long as they don't get in the way (I think it could be a good look).

Second, I'm sure some of you have seen my posts about struggles with building my own PSU, but that's still the route I want to go. So, I'll be feeding the MB-6852 +9, +5, and GND via J4. I'm assuming that, with a bit of cleverness, I might be able to use the standard DIN connector and bypass and bridge things. Instead of doing that, though, I was thinking of just modifying the rear panel to accept a panel mount DIN connector. The only way I can think to do that is to remove, or shorten, the 25-pin D-SUB for extensions.

I was curious as to what those who are working on, or have finished, their MB-6852's thought about that? I actually wanted to panel-mount everything (so I could potentially use the mainboard in my C64 case when I'm ready to do that), but I think that would be more trouble than it's worth.

I've got most of the parts already here or in the mail, with the only outstanding issues being rotary encoders, knobs, and, of course, having the panels machined.

Thanks all!

Ah right. I forgot he'll cut panels from the PT-10 (which has screw-holes). I think another MidiBoxer also made an MB-6582 with screw-holes. Sounds like Doug has a pretty clever solution either way. Hope he's doing better (I know he was donating bone marrow or something along those lines?).