Probs with quad SID

d2k

Hey...

Right, been having issues (to say the least) with my quad SID. Manily the psu (not the c64 one), which i think has been sorted...

Now the other probs...

I have 4 sep outs aswell a group stereo out, so to check each SID was functioning I loading the latest jsynth and sent patches to each SID (each time changing the device ID chan to suit the selected SID), the patches sent but only after like 20secs, somtimes the sound would also get stuck and continue to play, then to cap it off i'd hear no sound of that SID when playing notes, but if i switched link on, then i could hear sound from that SID output...not the patch i sent tho...

If i've fikked the IDs or summin is there anyway I can burn the 16F slaves with the ID set in the box or summin like with the 18Fs in ICProg?

Are there any simple test to come like with the 16F sid test that'll test output of all 4 SIDs in the CS unit? It'd make troubleshooting alot more easier, this has been a nightmare and now my case is broken from all the messin about :/ and i havnt got eny encoders yet :(

Best...

Dan

Hi Dan,

the stucking notes problem is caused by jsynth, I will try to find a workaround for the next release.

You always have to enable the link when you want to send data from your PC to a slave. Otherwise you will only hear the patch which has been sent by the master before. And this is propably the point which wasn't clear yet (in order to avoid confusion, I will only explain one usecase here): you don't have to use jsynth to update a slave patch, just select the patch from the control unit.

Try the following:

• fill the BankStick of the master core with your favourite patches
  • select SID2
  • select a patch
  • ensure that the Link is enabled
  • play some notes

if this doesn't work, the device IDs are not configured correctly. It's possible to determine the ID by changing 16 ping requests with 16 different ID numbers, you could use IC-Prog to change the ID, but it's much easier to change them via MIDI. The procedure is explained under MBHP->MIDIbox SID->Step B. When chaning the device ID, only the appr. core should be connected to the MIDI Out of your PC. Maybe you have to change some MIDI wires temporary for this setup...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: check also the MIDI channels of the slave cores, they are configured by the master after every startup, and you are able to change the channels from the CFG menu

P.S.2: it is possible to change the device IDs of the slaves without changing the MIDI wires by uploading a MIOS application which just forwards the incoming MIDI data. You could use the "Small Skeleton" and enable the MIDI merger in USER_Init:

movlw   MIOS_MIDI_MERGER_ENABLED

call    MIOS_MIDI_MergerSet

Hi Dan,

I have 4 sep outs aswell a group stereo out, so to check each SID was functioning I loading the latest jsynth and sent patches to each SID (each time changing the device ID chan to suit the selected SID), the patches sent but only after like 20secs, somtimes the sound would also get stuck and continue to play, then to cap it off i'd hear no sound of that SID when playing notes, but if i switched link on, then i could hear sound from that SID output...not the patch i sent tho...

today I came across the same bug and now I understand your question! ;-)

Since I don't want to release V1.5 before the weekend, here a quickfix:

open "sid_mproc.inc" and search for CS_MENU_MS_Send_SysExDump_TxReq

exchange

call      CS_MENU_MS_Send_SysExDump_TxReq      ; request CS update
      movlw      0xff
      movwf      INDF1
by:
      call      CS_MENU_MS_Send_SysExDump_TxReq      ; request CS update
      movlw      0x8f                        ; update after ca. one second
      movwf      INDF1

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey T...

today I came across the same bug and now I understand your question!

Great! I was wondering if what i wrote made any sense :p...

Since I don't want to release V1.5 before the weekend, here a quickfix:

Sweet!

Best....

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey T...

Okay, latest so far is I got a VIC in as I thought I could use the psu like ya said and I also needed a new housing, however - the psu is different to the one used with the C64. It's just a 2prong 9v 3amp :/. Anyway, it's sorted for now :)

1.5 is runnin v nice, but for some reason SID3 wont sound :/. The slaves are all 16Fs and I've checked SID3 with the sid test and got the chord so it works, but not when part of the CS setup...

I've also notcied that when changin the cutoff and res paramters with the  encoders, although the param changes fine on the lcd, the actual sound output doesnt :/?...

Also, with the encoders (using the ones from Ian) how can i get this speed-up mode u've been talking of - where the faster u turn the bigger the sweep is...

Best...

Dan

Right, from good to un-uasble... :'(

I have a prob where after say 5mins after powering up the box the LCD flips out trying to keep up with multiple params that start flipping out and change values all over the place...:/

what's up with this?

Dan

Hey T...

In the psu schem for the SID why have u got 2 switches and what does the black dot beside the lower switch represent???

I'm asking as I had a C64 psu and wired as shown in the schem but only used the one switch instead (y would u use 2 switches right) wiring as stated so the one switch had 2 wires in and 2 out. However, summin went wrong cos when i switched on - nothing...no power newhere and one dead psu :(

So, now i've got another psu in and wanna get it right this time :)

Best

Dan

Hey  ilmenator...

I've made enough boxes now to know 9V on a PIC is not a good idea :)

So, I guess if I ignore the lower switch (the one with the UBD*) I should be set then....

Best...

Dan

*UBD - unidentified black dot

- Just realised that wudnt be ideal as thered always be 9V flowin in...So, i just lose the vic switch and add a regualr dpdt power switch...

Hi...

Okay, c64 psu #2 dead now too...:/

T, can u provide some pics or summin (component and tracks side) and also explain the 2 switches u have in the schem along with what that black dot is all about...

I dont see where I could wrong - i wired as exactly in that pdf and both times i've ended up with a dead psu after trying the circuit and switchin on the first time. Can any protection be put anywhere to protect the main psu or nefin? These psu's are rare and expensive to come by...

Best

Dan

Hi Dan,

Pictures wouldn't really help, because I guess that you just have blown the fuse during the tinkering work. This can happen from time to time if you don't take care for short circuits before powering the unit.

Some hints:

• exchange the fuse. Don't do it without - if you don't have a replacement yet, just buy it anywhere (DIY market or wherever), they are cheap and save the PSU from damage
  • find out the 5VDC and 9VAC pins by using a multimeter.
  • connect the 5VDC output directly with the core modules. Connect also the power LED like shown in the schematic. Check if the core module is working before you go on
  • build the 9V regulator circuit and connect it like shown in the schematic
  • at last you can try to integrate the switch. The correct contacts can be measured with a multimeter - it's a double-pole-toggle-switch (nice word ;-)) with 2*3 pins, but you only need 2*2 of them: the middle and one outer pin of each pole. Ensure that one pole doesn't get in contact with the other pole, although you will definitely get a short

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hey T

exchange the fuse. Don't do it without - if you don't have a replacement yet, just buy it anywhere (DIY market or wherever), they are cheap and save the PSU from damage

TO which fuse are you referring too? The C64 psu is fully enclosed. Do you mean to break it open and replace the one inside?

at last you can try to integrate the switch. The correct contacts can be measured with a multimeter - it's a double-pole-toggle-switch (nice word ) with 2*3 pins, but you only need 2*2 of them: the middle and one outer pin of each pole. Ensure that one pole doesn't get in contact with the other pole, although you will definitely get a short

Have u got a pic of that? Won't a dbl pole power switch be the same - the ones like found on PC psu's, where theres 4 pins on the switch for connecting the live and neutral wires...this is what i used...

Dan

aha, the C64 psu's I tried are not as pictured...they are fully enclosed as I said, so you can't get to the fuse (or anything) without cracking the base off...I tried this with the last one and it's full of wax or summin :/ They are what came with the original C4 tho and have the din type connector with the 9v ac and 5v dc...

Ah well, I think a dedicated psu with sep +15 and +5 outputs would be easier then gettin yet another C64 psu and screwin it up again...

* Just fired it up again - pins measured good :) connected back to the psu circuit again, hadnt changed nefin and bingo - we've a +5 and +14 :) just where they should be :)

Nice

Dan

Hey T...

I guess if I waited a while before cracking open the first one that might still be a worker too...ah well...

Okay, one thing I've still got a problem with is that when i switch the psu circuit off, I'm still gettin +5 on the +5 pin and the +14 drops down to a +5 too :/ I have a dual pole switch (4pins) with the +5 lime on one set and the line adjasent to the 9vAC pin on the c64 plug on the other set of pins - as in pdf...the one with that mystery black dot...

Best

Dan