VFD Displays again! lol

Austin73

Hi just in the process of buying my parts for a midibox when I came across this on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Futaba-4X20-LCD-Emulator-VFD-NA204SD02-4-Line-20-Char_W0QQitemZ220400064332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220400064332&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Has anybody used them and are they compatible it does say that its HD44780 compliant but I just wanted to check first.

Cheers

Aus

I am interested in this for the MB-6582. I hooked up my amber crystalfontz display this past weekend and was not happy with it. I like the appearance of VFD - reminds me of the old handheld video games I had back in the late 70's, early 80's!

I compared the Futaba VFD dimensions to the Crystalfontz dimensions listed by Wilba in the MB-6582 wiki, and the mounting holes do line up...see attached drawing from Futaba.

Based on a quick search of the forum, it looks like these will work with MIDIbox. See this thread....and many others if you run a search on "VFD"...

I think I'll buy one of these and try it in my MB-6582!

4948_B_204SD02A_gif77c3f4a5f6e15bbda1b43

4948_B_204SD02A_gif77c3f4a5f6e15bbda1b43

That VFD may have mount holes that line up with the MB-6582 CS PCB, but the display needs to fit in the cutout on the PCB, which it will not. Note the reason the cutout is only a little bigger than standard 4x20 LCD bezels is because the switches above and below the display actually overlap the LCD's PCB (i.e. the area outside the bezel but still within the LCD's PCB edges).

The closest thing to a VFD is obviously a PLED display like my "prototype" MB-6582, but there are short lifetime issues with them. I am now experiencing this first hand... my PLED display needs to "warm up" to full brightness and the pixels which used to be square are now wide rectangles, so it actually looks like raster lines. :(  This from a display that has probably only had a couple hundred hours of being used, maybe even less, it's been on for less than an hour a week on average!

The next best thing is the ultracool and ultraexpensive Optrex STEP LCD in negative white or negative green (see ultra's ultracool and ultraexpensive MB-SEQ)

The next best thing is the ultracool and ultraexpensive Optrex STEP LCD in negative white or negative green

Hey, I have one of those in 40x2! I used it for my first Core/SID build. Now it's sitting in the desk drawer awaiting future project.

Well, so much for the VFD on the MB-6582. But, I'll be eyeballing these for future projects...Thanks for the insight, Wilba.

Yeh, they should work.  :)

Disclaimer: Note that I said "should" not "will" because I've not had them sitting in front of me, actually working... Because noone here has, that's the best answer you can get - you're going to have to be a pioneer. Let's put it like this: I'd buy one. But, Don't send me a bill if they don't work please :D