Stripboard suitability?

unrise_lyrical

I ordered a stripboard (veroboard) off ebay and when it arrived i noticed it has a bit of flex in it...is this normal? I took a picture of it to try and show what I mean...its got a bit of a curve in it to begin with...I wouldnt be so bothered except it is what the buttons of a mbSID are going on to...and whilst they dont need much of a push...still...

Model number is HS-03

21052009721.jpg

ps. apologies for the photo quality

yep, thats pretty normal.

whats more, when you solder to the underside, as the solder cools, it will contract, pulling the board the other way.

Make sure your vero is supported correctly with appropriate spacers / screw / nuts etc and it'll be fine and secure.

Regards

Mike

Well, that board is already cactus :( I noticed a PCB pin was wobbling in its hole even though it was soldered, so i heated up the solder to reset it in its place and it wouldnt stick...turns out the copper contacts come off incredibly easy :/ blah, guess it was just a cheapie. Took forever to desolder the 5 buttons and remove them (without a solder sucker) but oh well...time to order another board i guess! :/

It might be a cheapy, but most vero is like that if your iron is too hot or if you apply heat for too long... Especially if you are desoldering.

I buy the cheapest of the cheap, and it works fine for me..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8-PROTO-TYPE-PCB-CIRCUIT-PANEL-SOLDER-DIY-90X70-BOARD_W0QQitemZ120321231927QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item1c03b44c37&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The above link is not strip board, but individual pads that you can link with solder or whatever.

Search for protoboard or veroboard.

If a pad has lifted, then all is not lost, you could still solder a wire to that pin on the switch.

Regards

Mike