Another 50 SIDs have arrived!!!!

djjonnyjams

Remarking is a stupid thing. The 6582a's have very sharp edges, indicating that they were indeed sanded down. I would rather buy obviously used SIDs, at least you know the markings are correct (didn't know they made SIDs back in '54 - truly ahead of their time, lol).

Anyways, two of the four SIDs I ordered have defective noise generators. >:( Maybe not the most important feature, the filters and other stuff still work, but you should take more care when testing them - maybe offering the defective ones on discount. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I CAN GARAUNTEE that they ARE genuine 8580r5 and each one will be tested before shipping.

Hmm, I just now notice it doesn't say that they'll have to pass the test before you ship them. Maybe you wanna rethink your testing technique and refund the not-fully working ones.

It's all good, I'm getting replacements.

Mssiah diagnostics only test the oscillators with one waveform, so any damage to the noise generators would slip by. I suggested making a song in the sequencer for testing purposes, with chords using all three oscillators, one waveform at a time + filter sweep. That would be sufficient testing, right?

Mssiah diagnostics only test the oscillators with one waveform, so any damage to the noise generators would slip by. I suggested making a song in the sequencer for testing purposes, with chords using all three oscillators, one waveform at a time + filter sweep. That would be sufficient testing, right?

Why don't you just ask Wilba about his testing procedure?

Of course I am replacing his chips. I'm not giving up either. I'm the nice guy who sifts through 100 chips to find a few good ones so you nice people can have nice SIDs.

Anyways, it's true that MSSIAH audio diagnostics only uses a sine wave, this is how the faulty noise waveform slipped by. I asked Wilba about his testing method. Unfortunately I don't have a midibox yet, I'm still waiting for the parts for my first core and SID modules to arrive.

In the meantime, I made a song in MSSIAH Sequencer that runs through each waveform on each voice with filter tweaks. After this I found three more that had defective noisewaves. This is frustrating, but not nearly as frustrating as trying to buy a Commodore 64c from ebay these days.

Hmmm, what to do with the ones with bad noisewave? I'm thinking I'll build a commodore that's dedicated to bassline, and for the few SIDs I have with defective filters, maybe I'll throw those in a commodore that's dedicated to MSSIAH's Drummer application (does not use filter)

Maybe I'll make SID Keychains.... SID jewelry in general, SID BLING!

I'm gonna make a four-finger SID ring and punch my supplier in the face with it.

I'm gonna make a four-finger SID ring and punch my supplier in the face with it.

With the IC legs facing away from your ring right?  ;)

Actually someone made a commodore ring from the Commodore key on the keyboard,

but i'd be damned if i can find it in the search!

With the IC legs facing away from your ring right?  ;)

Actually someone made a commodore ring from the Commodore key on the keyboard,

but i'd be damned if i can find it in the search!

Oooohh yeah, that stings..... 28 holes in the face!

My girlfriend is getting SID earings for her birthday. I'm glad they're remarked, because she's a snob and she won't wear SID earings if the printing is smudged.....

This pic is particularly awesome:

http://oms.wmhost.com/misc/MOS_6581_R3_sections_bus.jpg

With picture filesizes of 20MB -900MBs per file, and such high resolutions on that page,

each sid chip model could easily be reproduced.

OK, I'll call around and get some quotes......

..............seriously....

....not really, though......

but maybe.....

seriously maybe....

ciriusly.......

like satellite radio...

Seriously though,

Thanks for the die shots. Those were really interesting to look at and it really makes me appreciate the hard-work that went into designing this chip. It also makes me really happy that commodore, (or MOS) cared enough to revise the chip 5 times. (actually 6 if you count 6582) They really perfected it with r5, maybe they were just trying to increase the yeild, but at least they improved the functionality along the way.

The filter is definitely what makes this chip so dope. If we could just replicate the filter, that would be really coooooool. I'm gonna go listen to some midibox people's sounds now because I want to be inspired. I have to sort through another 50 SIDs and finish building 3 commodores over the weekend. It'll help to have fresh music. I am super-duper ADD and I sometimes get distracted while I wait for the iron to heat-up....... nintendo DS is all bad for me....

Are you the guy from Canada?

anyways, yes, I have created a song in MSSIAH's sequencer that does filter sweeps through each waveform, and I retested the other chips that already passed the basic diagnostics test. I found three more with defects and they won't be sold. (obviously)

Seriously though,

. It also makes me really happy that commodore, (or MOS) cared enough to revise the chip 5 times. (actually 6 if you count 6582) They really perfected it with r5, maybe they were just trying to increase the yeild, but at least they improved the functionality along the way.

At the risk of sending you something youve read 100 times already take a look at this.......

http://interview.sonikmatter.com/data/bob_yannes.php

Imagine how cool it could of been if space wasnt an issue!

• 3 weeks later...

The DTV ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV) is an emulation of an almost complete C64, including the SID. AFAIK it's based on a FPGA. Take the code for that, put it onto a specialized device, voila. Maybe subtle differences can be found by people who know the proper SID sound by heart. It sounds convincing enough, though (also given the fact that i most often hear it through a crappy but authentic cbm monitor speaker).

The DTV ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV) is an emulation of an almost complete C64, including the SID. AFAIK it's based on a FPGA. Take the code for that, put it onto a specialized device, voila. Maybe subtle differences can be found by people who know the proper SID sound by heart. It sounds convincing enough, though (also given the fact that i most often hear it through a crappy but authentic cbm monitor speaker).

Errr,  It doesn't emulate the filters at all??  So it's absolutely not convincing imo.

This just was an example of how something like this could be done. If you're able to formulate something like that, the extra code for the filters shouldn't be too difficult.

It normally is a closed system running a given pool of games, so the lack of filters is not apparent. Of course, it would be different if you'd reflash it with sound apps.

hey! i recived the 8 sids! they fzzxcing sonds good..

i compared each one to a really original 8580r5 and they seem to sound better and louder..

so i'm happy.. bye bye..

ps.. maybe someone are less or more louder than the other, but i think this is a sid characteristic

• 2 months later...