Control Panel Question: want more encoders

SynthAnthony

Hello

I bought 4 chips from Wilba, and now that I have some time to spare, I want start making my MidiBox Sid.

But first I have one question - I've red walktrough, doesn't look too easy, but I think everything will be fine, when I do everything step by step.

One thing is not very clear to me: can you customize the control panel as you like?

What I really want, is encoder for each parameter. I like 'tons of knobs', and the complete setup is not enough for me - I would like dedicated set of knobs for every oscillator and envelope.

So, can you customize the control panel, to meet your needs? Is it hard?

Otherwise, I think I'll just buy Behringer BCR2000 and will make a minimal control panel - would be more logical solution for me.

Btw - is there any way to make LED endicators around the econders? Probably not, but still, would be nice.

In other news - I had some money to spare, wanted to buy Moog Little Phatty, but then decided that I could build MidiBox Sid instead and I don't have a drum synth, so I bought Jomox Xbase 888 - should arrive tomorrow. I also have Prophet 08 and the bass station. Had some other stuff, but I sold it.

But first I have one question - I've red walktrough, doesn't look too easy, but I think everything will be fine, when I do everything step by step.

Correct, taking one step at a time and fixing every potential problem right away makes the whole thing pretty easy :-)

One thing is not very clear to me: can you customize the control panel as you like?

Absolutely!

What I really want, is encoder for each parameter.

Aaaaand that's not gonna happen - you'd need a CS the size of a full grown modular.

So, can you customize the control panel, to meet your needs? Is it hard?

Yes, you can. It's not hard either. It's been done before, if you look around the MBOTW forum, you'll find some examples. There's also some pages on the WIKI that describe how to change things around to meet your CS needs.

Btw - is there any way to make LED endicators around the econders? Probably not, but still, would be nice.

There is, but you're looking at a lot of work and customization in the source if you want to do that.

Just to illustrate my point about the amount of knobs needed, I attached some screenshots of a SID patch editor, which will give you a rough estimate about the vast amount of parameters ;)

5351_pt_02_pngdcd6a53cbf8e751fa2e51db724

5353_pt_03_png027c261db4c37d34123219bb83

5357_pt_05_png24120e354ff79eef20f8615566

5359_pt_06_png260e1cf28f4eafe2b9c80b2700

5351_pt_02_pngdcd6a53cbf8e751fa2e51db724

5353_pt_03_png027c261db4c37d34123219bb83

5357_pt_05_png24120e354ff79eef20f8615566

5359_pt_06_png260e1cf28f4eafe2b9c80b2700

Thank you for your reply:

Well, I do realise that midibox sid is a very sophisticated synth, probably the most sophisticated analog/digital hybrid synth there is, and is by far better than Elektron SidStation (if you look at the spec list) so wishing for dedicated encoder for each parameter is unrealistic. What I really ment, is most common parameters - for example, shared ecoders, for all LFOs is fine by me.

I'm thinking about 40-50 encoders. Don't really know which parameters I will need, so I don't want to take the standard "analog" knob set - I think Sid can be something different, so it's fair that it deserve an other set of parameter knobs. I was thinking about making custom 3-4 unit rack/desktop enclosure. Will probably be white, with '80 style font, blue LEDs/screen and wooden sidepanels  :)

I'll look around the forum, for more info.

Hello.

If I am not mistaken, you are limited by how many digital inputs MIOS can handle. This limit is 128 digital inputs. A button takes up one input and an encoder takes up two. This puts the limit at 64 encoders, if you don't have any buttons at all. With 50 encoders, there's also room for 28 buttons.

Customizing the firmware to work with the encoders is not very hard, take a look in the relevant setup_-file, setup_8580.asm if you are using 6582s, see the bottom of the file, and particularly cs_menu_enc_table.inc in /src.

Anders M.

edit by nILS: Whoops, sorry, hit edit instead of quote ;)

If I am not mistaken, you are limited by how many digital inputs MIOS can handle. This limit is 128 digital inputs. A button takes up one input and an encoder takes up two.

Yes and no. That's the limit per core :-) With multiple cores you could "easily" have more then 64 encoders. Just have the extra cores send the encoder changes via MIDI to the "master core" - done. Obviously, this needs some coding, but it's definitely doable.

• 2 weeks later...