MIDIBOX64: 64 POTS + 128 BUTTONS TWEAK

axiomriddler

hi mr thorsten & everybody else... :)

am still building my midibox64...

i'v read this:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,1952.0.html

MIOS supports 128 digital inputs, but the MIDIbox64 application has been designed for 64 buttons to keep it compatible with the established data structure. I don't plan to change this data structure since it would require a lot of effort (not only on the application side, but also the documentation and the editors would have to be changed....).

So, there are two solutions: either you enhance the application by yourself so that all 128 digital inputs are working as MIDI triggers (for static MIDI events it's very easy, for customizable events the effort is very high), or you wait for MIDIbox NG (see: http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1065215244) which will be hardware compatible, but will open much more additional possibilities w/o changing the source code.

based on your statements, my question is:

how can i easily enhance the midibox64 application so that all 128 digital inputs are working as MIDI triggers (as u mentioned it)?

does it mean that i can use 2 AINs + 4 DINs for my midibox64 then?

or, should i simply add another core for the additional 64 buttons?

what is your suggestion(s)?

fyi, i plan the 64 additional buttons (arranged in 8x8 matrix) to trigger video clips in modul8 or music clips in ableton live (i don't use those softwares at the same time). i only use the buttons as the software's on/off switches or triggers.

thx heaps..

regards,

anto

thx for yr suggestion.. :)

if i change my plan into using MIDIbox64 (for 2 AINs with 64 pots, 2 DINs with 64 buttons) + MIDIO128 (for 2 DINs with 64 buttons, purposed for triggering clips only) in one box, then..

1. how should i link them in a box? MIDIbox64 for "MIDI in/CORE 1" position and MIDIO128 for "MIDI out/CORE 2" position? http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_link.html sooorry, it's not clear enough for me..

2. regarding the use of 2 COREs, how should i set the settings for MIDIbox64 & MIDIO128 applications for each CORE?

3. if i only want to use only 1 LCD, should i attach it on the MIDIO128?

...but am still curious for the possibility to use only 1 CORE with enhanced MIDIbox64 application for 2 AINs + 4 DINs (as stated by mr thorsten)  :)

regards,

anto

What kind of MIDI events should be sent?

So long the Note/CC number doesn't matter (as you can configure the routing in Ableton Live anyhow), you could use the ain64_din128_dout128 application without any changes.

MB64 is only relevant for people who want to control MIDI hardware directly w/o using a computer.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

thx heaps mr thorsten...

What kind of MIDI events should be sent?

So long the Note/CC number doesn't matter (as you can configure the routing in Ableton Live anyhow), you could use the ain64_din128_dout128 application without any changes.

MIDI events i use are note on/off (momentary) and cc..ya, i can configure the routing in both softwares (ableton live & modul8)...

so, based on that information, may i conclude that i should use 64 pots + 128 button by using 1 core, 2 ain, 4 din, mios & ain64_din128_dout128_v2b application..not midibox64 application ? i think this is the most ergonomic & economic solution for me..  :)

MB64 is only relevant for people who want to control MIDI hardware directly w/o using a computer.

what if i want to link MB64 to a computer with configurable routing? is it still relevant?..what is your suggestion?

regards,

anto