Help me identify LCD + troubleshooting.

questionable

Howdy Midiboxers.  I've finally finished the wiring on my box, but am having some difficulty as the LCD shows only a row of black boxes on the top row, and never displays the ready text.  The midi firmware upload seems to have worked fine (no errors), so I expect that MIOS is loaded properly. 

I'd like to make sure that my pin assignments are correct on my LCD, but I don't have any way of telling what brand/model number my LCD is.  Does anyone recognize this display?

midiboxboards-1.jpg

midiboxlcd-1.jpg

I remember there was a sticker on the display that had some numbers, but that has been removed.  I believe I may have purchased the display from SmashTV, but that was several years ago. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Yep, I've triple checked the connections per that diagram.  Right now the backlight isn't working, but I think I recall on the datasheet I had at one point (can no longer find) that the +/- were flipped on this display, so swapping those should fix the backlight.  I was hoping to find the datasheet again, so that I could double check that the pin assignments on the LCD were the same, but without the serial number of the LCD, I have no hope of finding that data sheet.

If the LCD is working in general (although just displaying black boxes along the top, contrast controls do work), I suppose maybe I should be looking elsewhere for the problems.  

What's odd is that after uploading MIOS, the midibox is acting correctly (ie, only sends one upload request after powering up, instead of the continuous stream it was doing before), so my thoughts are that MIOS is operating correctly...which leads me back to thinking that the LCD is not working correctly. 

Perhaps my next step should be this (from the wiki)

How can I test if MIOS is running?

After the startup phase, you can send this message “F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0F F7†to the core, MIOS should reply with the same message immediately. You could also try to upload an application, after every code block a checksum message will be send which acknowledges that the stream has been received correctly.

mmm reminds me of a little thing i did which was "not enough power to the core" it was only after nils checked this with me that i found the right supply and pumped a min of 9v into the core that everything lit up as it should. you got enough power going into the core?

also check for shorts, missed solder pins etc, and if you have a ribbon block on the end of the cable it is possible that in clamping it down its shorted it there.

The plot thickens.  While trying to figure out how to send that string to MIOS to see if it returns correctly, I decided to try reuploading the update_without_installed_mios hex file, which then didn't work, gave me some errors.  I then decided to try an upload from an older version of MIOS, which also didn't work, but the LCD gave me an error message saying "no update".  So I guess the LCD is working, and it's an issue with MIOS not installing correctly or completely.