MBSid compared to sidstation?

Guest 123

Has anyone played around with both of these?Does the sidstation have alot more sound possibilities?Any comparison info/opinions would be appreciated.

Yes, it is still available, but only a few ones are still left, I think. They will discontinue building it, because of the "inavailability" of the SID chips (6581, 8580). They are just building 100 more and thats it (and that was about one or two months ago).

So, there are just a few left, but there definitely wont be in some time!

I've tried the Sidstation once. It has some LFO's and a cool arpeggiator, but i believe MbSid has more functions. Thorstens front panel seems a lot more user-friendly than Sidstations 3 pots, 1 encoder and keypad.

I believe the Sidstation started as a homemade project among a bunch of students at the Chalmers University in Gothenburg, Sweden in the late 90's. I read once that it was also supposed to be produced without the SID (at a lower price) so that you could use a 6581 from your old  C64, but i think they scrapped that idea. I also think that Sidstation is a quite simple design using cheap standard parts (like the ugly keypad)... maybe it has a PIC16? ;)

As of this writing, there are 28 Sidstations left... but i surely would rather build a MbSID!