Connecting Midibox FM to Midibox CV?

sebiiksbcs

I hope this is the right place to post my topic.

Although I understand the AOUT option of the Midibox FM application, I am not sure about one point: Is it possible to build a standalone MBFM, then a standalone Midibox CV, and a filter box, and make them work together, so to say to let the MBFM use the MBCV to control the external filters?

Or has the AOUT module to be directly connected to the MBFM's core in order to allow the direct control features (EG5>AOUT, LFO>AOUT etc.)?

So if that kind of full communication between MBFM and MBCV is not possible, would a way to achieve both an MBFM and an MBCV be through:

- building a 'to AOUT' output on the MBFM

- building a similar 'to AOUT' output on the MBCV, which itself only has a Core, control surface, and LCD

- have a standalone AOUT module in a box which either MBFM or MBCV can connect to

- then control whatever through MBFM or MBCV > AOUT box

Am I grasping the right idea or did I neglect something important?

Sending filter control data from a sequencer is fine if you want to do filter sweeps, etc., but if you want to have say a filter controlled by EG5 you have to connect it to the core.  These are really two different cases.

I've considered this same issue with my MB-6582 (and I'm working on a MB-FM now).  I think the ideal case would be for the MB-FM to have CC parameters for the AOUT controls, then you have the best of both worlds: you could send CC messages from your sequencer or controller to control CV gear as desired, or control the CV gear from MB-FM signals (e.g. EG5).

I just reviewed the CC implementation chart for MB-FM (and MB-SID) and unfortunately there are no CC messages for the AOUT controls that I saw.  Perhaps it could be added?  There may not be enough flash or RAM left in MB-SID for this (it is at the limit of the PIC from what I understand), but perhaps MB-FM would have room.

The other approach I considered was building a MB-CV and adding an additional port for a connection from the MB-SID or MB-FM core.  You can pass +5V on this connector and use a simple circuit to multiplex the lines going to the AOUT module in the MB-CV.  So when +5V is coming in from the MB-SID or MB-FM, the AOUT module is controlled by the MB-SID or MB-FM.  When no +5V is coming in (e.g. the MB-SID or MB-FM is off or the cable is disconnected), the AOUT module is controlled by the core in MB-CV.  You could also or instead add a switch to select which input goes to the AOUT module.

Right, I want the full control, especially EG5 as filter envelope. This cannot be accomplished through routing notes and CCs differently.

The other approach I considered was building a MB-CV and adding an additional port for a connection from the MB-SID or MB-FM core.  You can pass +5V on this connector and use a simple circuit to multiplex the lines going to the AOUT module in the MB-CV.  So when +5V is coming in from the MB-SID or MB-FM, the AOUT module is controlled by the MB-SID or MB-FM.  When no +5V is coming in (e.g. the MB-SID or MB-FM is off or the cable is disconnected), the AOUT module is controlled by the core in MB-CV.  You could also or instead add a switch to select which input goes to the AOUT module.

That idea is really nice!