change MBSID menu entry length from 3 to 7 chars?

Hi all,

I am building an MBSID with the basic control surface, but I have a 2x40 character display connected to the first core. I know that I can display more menu entries at once (10 instead of 5), but I would like to exchange that feature for longer strings (like "play" instead of "ply", "jump" instead of "jmp", "legato" instead of "leg" - you get the picture).

So basically I would stick to the 5 buttons under the display, but have longer strings displayed.

I guess that I would have to change the cs_menu_print.inc file for the strings that are displayed, but is there any easy way to tell MIOS that menu entries in general should have a length of 8 instead of 4 characters? Something like an "offset" value to tell MIOS where to place the next string?

I hope I made myself clear. Thanks for any ideas,

ilmenator

The modification of cs_menu_print.inc and cs_menu_table.inc would be the first step, but I guess that some more changes would be required in cs_menu.inc.

I don't want to support this option for two reasons: memory limitations (yes, the SID application is nearly out of memory, I possibly have to remove cs_menu_cc_table.inc to free some memory again), and "featuritis": than more features which I'm not using by myself, than more difficult for me to ensure that all options are still working with a new release.

The first problem could be fixed by putting the strings into a BankStick (up to 8 EEPROMs can be accessed now). But I won't do this for the official version in order to reduce the complexity

The second problem has to be solved by yourself: change the code for your needs.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey Thorsten,

The second problem has to be solved by yourself: change the code for your needs.

I didn't mean to ask for you to implement this  ;) - I just thought that there might be an easy way to achieve this, but apparently there is none. I will look into the code and then decide whether it's possible for me or not. Anyway, I did not think of memory limitations, so this might be a serious "contra" for me as well.

Thanks, ilmenator