Can Pots Be Wired Like This?

MONSTA

I am about to start creating my own PCBs and was wondering the best way to wire Sparkfun Pots. I've seen the way people have been wiring pots here and they chain the vs and 5+ separately. Can I just chain 4 together with one loop going from 5+ through all the pots and back to vs (see image)? Also, can you wire these either way or are they polarity dependant. I apologise if my terminology isn't correct and you can understand what I'm saying.

Thanks

Niietzhe

P.s. I like the new Forum! Nice one!!!

post-6514-125616871599_thumb.gif

no that won't work as expected. The Vcc/GND terminals of a pot define the voltage range that can be measured at the middle pin, so if you're chaining four of them, you're in fact building a series of four 10k resistors, i.e. the usable value range would be split up into four quarters.

S

OK here's the new design. This time is two layers, Red on top, Black on the bottom.

Looks like what other people have been doing, so think it's ok, but just checking. It'll be my first attempt at a custom PCB so I expect it to go horribly wrong! LOL. Will be trying it this weekend, so just checking if this is 100% right.

Thanks

Monsta

P.s. Does it matter which way vcc and vss are wired in? Or is it only the middle pin thats of any importance?

post-6514-125625642016_thumb.gif

Edited by MONSTA

OK here's the new design. This time is two layers, Red on top, Black on the bottom.

Looks like what other people have been doing, so think it's ok, but just checking. It'll be my first attempt at a custom PCB so I expect it to go horribly wrong! LOL. Will be trying it this weekend, so just checking if this is 100% right.

Thanks

Monsta

P.s. Does it matter which way vcc and vss are wired in? Or is it only the middle pin thats of any importance?

post-6514-125625642016_thumb.gif

In most cases, you want the wiper voltage going up as you turn the knob to the right.

Of course you can wire it the other way for a left-handed DJ.. But probably better to keep it "normal".. turning right raises the voltage, turning left lowers it.

Edited by lylehaze