MIOS controlled 16x16 audio matrix

Rowan

Hi ilmenator

You are right, There is no point in relaying on obsolete IC's. I've got a comprable relpacement:

SSM2404P

simlier specs, but has 4 switches rather than 2.

Findchip.com turned up about half a dozen suppliers with plenty of stock. It's also a RS stock item, therefore avalible worldwide.

Rowan

Heya Rowan!

I don't know if you make your own PCB's or not, if not when you have a design that you think is ready to build let me know and I'll make up a set on my dime and send them out to you.  

This offer applies to anyone working on extensions to the midibox project, or usefull DIY stuff that will benefit this community.  Even if you have a design as a schematic and have yet to route it as a PCB, let me know.  I'll help.

So let the designs fly, and don't let the thought of making prototype boards slow you down.  ;D

Have fun!

SmashTV

Hi Smash

Thank you very much for the offer. I have made my own boards in the past. If I can avoid etching again, I will. The chemicals involved have caused more than one dispute in my household.

The major issue I face at this stage is that the IC I would like to use (AD8113JST) will require at least a double sided board to achive good crosstalk ( a separate ground plan would be nice too). This chip is also a LQFP surfacemount package (100 lead), which complicates things further.

All these issues make this chip unsuitable for a DIY project. Therefore I'm tending towards smaller DIP devices, such as the SSM2402/SSM2404. Both of these chips will interface directly with the DOUT and MIOS can handle the switch controls as if they are LED's, which should make it compatable with 16F based designs.

By using these smaller chips, a large matrix would be very expensive to build due to the number of ICs needed (still possible).

Another advantage is that the circuit should be able to be used without a MIDIbox at all. Instead of using the DOUT to supply control logic, regular switchs can be connected to a +5V rail then to the control input of the IC.

At this stage I don't have a circiut on paper, it still flying around in my head. Once I recive the ICs (due in the next week or two) it will be time to dust off the breadboard, test out my ideas and put it on paper.

Rowan

Hi Smash

Thank you very much for the offer. I have made my own boards in the past. If I can avoid etching again, I will. The chemicals involved have caused more than one dispute in my household.

The major issue I face at this stage is that the IC I would like to use (AD8113JST) will require at least a double sided board to achive good crosstalk ( a separate ground plan would be nice too). This chip is also a LQFP surfacemount package (100 lead), which complicates things further.

Whew!  Double sided boards are very hard for me to fabricate, hopefully in the near future I can finish the laser alignment rig for the CNC and make them a bit easier to do.  If the component side is rather simple it (mostly ground plane) it will make it much easier.  I can't do through hole plating either (after the silkscreen equipment and etch tanks I didnt want to push it with my wife by adding an electrochemical process!  ;)   )
All these issues make this chip unsuitable for a DIY project. Therefore I'm tending towards smaller DIP devices, such as the SSM2402/SSM2404. Both of these chips will interface directly with the DOUT and MIOS can handle the switch controls as if they are LED's, which should make it compatable with 16F based designs.

By using these smaller chips, a large matrix would be very expensive to build due to the number of ICs needed (still possible).

Have you thought about scaling the concept back to 8x8? or even 4x4 (I bet the quad sid guys would love to use a 4x4 on their audio i/o).
Another advantage is that the circuit should be able to be used without a MIDIbox at all. Instead of using the DOUT to supply control logic, regular switchs can be connected to a +5V rail then to the control input of the IC.

At this stage I don't have a circiut on paper, it still flying around in my head. Once I recive the ICs (due in the next week or two) it will be time to dust off the breadboard, test out my ideas and put it on paper.

Rowan

Sounds great, keep us informed of your progress, and let me know if I can help in any way!

Smash

That sure is welcome news Smash :) props to all mb'ers!!

Thanks D!

I'm working on another design right now using Pilo's ADC connected to the Alesis optogen chip, Line drivers and cat5 network cable in place of the optos and fiber optic cable, and several optorec chips/DACs to decode the signal back into 8ch analog and fed to small mixer(s).  All of this is to try to build the perfect stage monitor system for live performance, 8 channels of analog audio from the main console converted into one cheap cat5 cable, feeding mic stand-mounted decoder/mixers, so that the performers can set the mix and the levels of their in-ear monitors or floor wedge monitors.  I'll need to daisy chain the digital cat5 feed to each small mixer on the stage.  The benefits here would be no multicore cable to deal with while giving each performer the monitor mix they want (A monitor mix that everyone in the band is happy with is the holy grail for every live sound engineer!)

There is a commercial rig that does this, the hearback system at http://www.heartechnologies.com/hb/hearbackintro.htm It sells for around $1k street price in the US (well worth every penny) but I would love to build one with the features on the mixer that I want, Like a dedicated talkback and avanced limiting.

As soon as the Alesis-semi site comes back up I'll try to get my hands on some chips to play with...... ;)

Ideas? comments? suggestions?

I can use all the help I can get on this one......  :)

Have fun!

SmashTV

Hi Smash

4x4 sounds realistic with DIP devices. I didn't think about the possiblity of using it for the quad sid, good idea! 4x4 could be done with 4 x SSM2404 or 8 x SSM2402. Both seem reasonable numbers.

Two 4x4  could be run from a single DOUT.

It's all starting to fall into place.

Rowan

I'm working on another design right now using Pilo's ADC connected to the Alesis optogen chip, Line drivers and cat5 network cable in place of the optos and fiber optic cable, and several optorec chips/DACs to decode the signal back into 8ch analog and fed to small mixer(s).

Great stuff Smash!! 1 Q tho - I already have some toshlink transmitters/receivers for the adat connections - can I use these instead? The cat5 cable/connections ur usin is custom to ur setup no? I mean, how would u connect a custom cat5 (with i guess a rj45 connector) adat cable to a standard toshlink connector used in regular adat connections?

Basically i'm hoping I can use this SBlive (pr a few if poss) to rcv 8 chans of digital audio via adat, send the fed audio to the analog outs which would feed outboard gear like comps, limiters etc. This would then be fed back into the sblive ana inputs, which would also be summed to the adat out, for transfer back to the main daw for recording...

Confused and excited I am :)

Best

Dan

Hi all,

Several optorec chips/DACs to decode the signal back into 8ch analog and fed to small mixer(s).  

Why not using an AL3101 between the optorec and the D/A? This would allow you to make the mix digitally and apply effects like compressors, equalizers, ... on the channels almost for free.

Of course, the drawback is that you would then need a micro-controller to convert the fader signals into something usable by the DSP but on the other hand, only one D/A would be required... In any case, that would rock...  8)

Kind regards,

Lall

• 1 year later...

Hi Dan

It's sitting in my stash of half finished projects at the moment.

Are you interested in having a crack?

The Problem I struck was getting MIOS to talk to the chip. My programming skills are very poor (1 semester at uni doing C programming).

I've got 1 spare chip (These chips are EXENSPENSVE) I'm prepeared to give to some one who will do the coding and help me out with the hardware design (This offer extends to anyone with a proven track record of developing and finishing new MIOS features)

I'm keen on reopening this topic for discussion, as I'm still keen on finishing it.

If I remeber I let off tring to work out what speed the DOUT's run at, the matrix IC needs a 20kHz to 5MHz clock (I think, It's over a year since I thought about this)

Anyone with any suggestions?

Regards

Rowan

Hey Rowen

It's sitting in my stash of half finished projects at the moment.

easy done ;)

Are you interested in having a crack?

What chips did u settle on in the end? multiples of those SSM2402/4's or the single AD8113JST?

I aint too hot on the mios programming side so best save the spare chip for some1 who is (pilo - u listening? ;p)

But ye def interesting as I'm currently lookin to implement a controllable patchbay in a modular mixer design...

Hi,

I've got two of the ad75019 matrix ICs.

I've also got a few SSM2404

The SSM2404 will be dead simple to use but many IC's are needed, where as the AD75019 will be a little more complex (Some MIOS programming required) but in my option are a more elegent solution.

Dan, the modular mixer sounds cool.

Pilo, If you have the time I'de love some help?

Regards

Rowan