a bleep, a click, and nothing more than that..

tonysnail

Hey all..

It's been a long night..

I finally built the SID module, and wired everything together - I've built a power board, following the optimized psu schematic, and it seems to be giving out a nice steady 14v / 5v..

So I wired the whole thing up, and..

The PIC appeared to start smoking, and left a faint burn mark on Smash's sticker :-( (you can see it on the screenshot)

I realised it was because my 5V power cable wasn't soldered to the core module properly.. So just before I threw the whole sorry mess out of my bedroom window I decided to fix the connection and try it again, expecting nothing..

It booted up normally! The only thing that seems to have suffered so far is the backlight on the LCD, which alas is no more.. Apart from that, I still had the 'Ready' signal on my display..

So I jumped straight in and uploaded Sid V2.. Alas, no sound - nothing but a faint click as I play a note, so quiet I've had to turn my volume up full just to hear it..

So I uploaded the test tone - and it plays the high-pitch note! (Very quietly)..

I read somewhere that the filters on my 6581 have to be calibrated, but I can't find the application to do it.. Could someone tell me how to do it please?

Or maybe it's just because my PIC is scrambled! But then I wouldn't expect it to work at all if that were the case.. And with the Sid application loaded, I get the 'Lead Patch' as expected..

I'm really struggling to figure out why i'm only getting little clicks, especially as the test tone plays (quietly).. If someone could help me out I'd be extremely grateful - I've come so far already! In the meantime, I'll try my second SID chip to see if it fares any better..

Many thanks guys!

post-6876-12599229353_thumb.jpg

post-6876-12599229481_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonysnail

Yay, the midibox-blue-smoke initiation ritual :frantics:

The clicks you hear are digital noise, not the actual audio output. Get the SID out of it's socket, measure all voltages again(!), then measure them again, if they're correct both times, measure them again.

Then upload the interconnection test from ucapps.de and see if everything works as described in the readme.txt. If that's the case plug the SID back in.