re-painting "section grooves" of a schaeffer mb6582 front panel

no-fi

OK... so I bought a 2nd hand schaeffer front panel from someone who grabbed one and some SIDs, but then never got around to starting their mb6582. It currently has blue paint in the milled grooves between sections, and my plan was always to make these grooves a different colour. (even bare aluminium)

My default way to do this will be to do what I learned with the sammichSID, and tape up (electrical tape?) either side of the groove, and get some layers of watered down acrylic in there, with drying periods between each coat. I'm sure this will work, but faster and easier ways to do this without making a huge mess would be very much appreciated...

Also, is it worth trying to scratch the original paint out first? I could always use a scalpel or a tiny flat blade screwdriver, but I'm worried about slipping and damaging the front panel finish.

thanks.

You might check post out since it has some alternatives to acrylic. I used acrylic on my Sammich and, while it doesn't look bad, it seems like these other techniques might be better. I assume the same would hold true in your case. I'm not sure as to if you need to remove the paint from the grooves, though I would be careful about that. I assume you would need to use a thinner of some sort and that could also thin out the paint on other sections of your panel. Perhaps you have a steadier hand than I :)

As for taping, electrical tape would probably work, though blue painter's tape might work well and would be easier to apply. I haven't tried it though so YMMV.

aaaah cool... thanks for the link!

I didn't think of looking in that section.

slowly learning my way around here.

:-)

ANYWAY, i spent a few hours looking in 2 art/craft shops near where i live, plus a giant hardware store, and no luck on the little bottle with the fine metal nozzle.

Time to go up the road to the local chemist and see if I can pick up a fit box without looking like a junkie... not sure if the paint will work with normal injecting needles, it might be a bit too thick.... but there's only one way to find out.

:-)

Edited by no-fi

well I painted the groves tonight with a syringe and needle. Looks like it worked great.

I got an 0.6mm needle and a smallish syringe for like $1.50 from my local chemist. I asked for the biggest gauge needle they had.

Put paint in the syringe, attach needle, open side of the needle points down into the groove, then you push the plunger while sliding the needle along the groove. you can work out a pretty good pressure/speed match which fills the groove without too much overspill. Then go back and wipe overspill with a tissue after each groove is done. I found wiping across the groove worked a lot better than along, which also pulls out paint you might want to keep.. Just make a point of always wiping away from any lettering.

damn, I wish I'd had this technique when I did the sammich!!!

I should probably get some photos up of this and my sammich sometime...

Edited by no-fi

You can also buy syringes cheap on dealextreme,

if you dont want to look suspicious in your local chemist! ;)

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.syringe

I bought some with the intent to use it with some liquid flux i got on their site,

that just pours out.

cool! I never used dealextreme before.

their logo makes me think of the yamaha DX7 logo....