Sammich - Heatsink Compound/Wall Wart Power Supply

marcolex

Hi friends,

received my kit last week, thanks Wilba!

I have a couple of questions, can't seem to find any non-conductive heatsink compound here in Toronto, and the regulated wallwart power supply since the ones I found were unregulated....so I have my hands in the kit but can't start building since I don't have this 2 components...

Fellow canadians and friends at the forum if you know some place in Toronto let me know, or also online source will be great too.

Thanks a lot

Marco

An unregulated walwart will work fine too. You only really need regulated if you want to use 6581 SIDs. For 6582A SIDs, a 12V 500mA unregulated DC supply will work.

I found it hard to believe that you can't get a regulated walwart in Toronto....

Try here: http://www.a1parts.com

It's incredibly likely they have silicone heatsink compound in the store... what place sells heatsinks and ICs and not the goo that goes between? ;)

Thanks Wilba and Labelwhore

I have a found this

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Misc_Parts&product=2761372

it is silicone base heatsink compound, but does not say if it is non-conductive or something...it will be ok to use this one?

I think I received the 6582A so I think I will be good with unregulated power supply then....

Thanks!!!

Silicone isn't conductive.

What I used must not have been silicone because it certainly is conductive.(I'm not certain what brand it is, but I got it from a computer specialty shop) I got some of it on the legs of one of the voltage regulators and wasn't getting the right voltages where I should have been getting 5v until I cleaned it up. Actually, the voltage regulator wasn't the only place I got the stuff, I was finding it smeared on crap for the next two days :)

Edited by Labelwhore

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the manual was a bit unclear on this;

do I apply the compound on the PCB and then place the voltage regulator on top and then the heatsink?

Or apply the compound to the PCB, then place the heatsink and then the regulator?

*edit* ok, I read it again, with a clear mind and it's correct :)

Edited by Geir_Helgi

God damn it.

I accidentally soldered one of the regulators onto the PCB and then figured this out :(

It was so stuck, I tried desoldering it (I've got some wick) but eventually the damn legs broke!

Should I wait until tomorrow and buy a new one or should I solder some legs onto it?! :D

God damn it.

I accidentally soldered one of the regulators onto the PCB and then figured this out :(

It was so stuck, I tried desoldering it (I've got some wick) but eventually the damn legs broke!

Should I wait until tomorrow and buy a new one or should I solder some legs onto it?! :D

Buy another regulator.

Cut the legs off and desolder each pin separately and carefully. You don't want to lift the pads.

Mount it properly with the heatsinks and THEN solder it.

Buy another regulator.

Cut the legs off and desolder each pin separately and carefully. You don't want to lift the pads.

Mount it properly with the heatsinks and THEN solder it.

Yeah, I just bought a solder-sucker.

I had some crappy wick and I couldn't desolder it properly, so the silver-rings came off, underneath the PCB.

I went to the local electronics store and he told me to solder it again, but this time using the top silver-rings.

It's just a little confusing that the guide shows the regulators soldered to the PCB and then it says you're supposed to mount the heatsinks first :)

Anyways,

I got a new regulator and I'm gonna finish this now! :tongue:

Ok, update!

I finished building the Sammich.

I'm doing the voltage tests.

I only get ca. 3V in every 5V point!

The screen shows the little black squares, but they're very, very faint (I'm probably only seeing the pixels, not the filling?).

When I test the lower floor/pcb is it supposed to be plugged in?

ps. I'm using 6581's (I only have one at the moment, I'm getting another one :thumbsup: )

and I was wondering; the JBP jumpers are they supposed to be like horizontally (two, side by side II) or vertically (one going over to the other =)?

Edited by Geir_Helgi

If you want to use 6581, you need a regulated 12V DC power supply and put the jumpers in JBP. The power supply should be tip positive.

I don't know why you would get 3V instead of 5V by using jumpers in JBP... unless you either are not using a regulated DC power supply (i.e. an AC power supply) or the tip is not positive... or you're using something you shouldn't (like a switch mode power supply). Check the output of the PSU first, then trace it to the input of the 7809, making sure you get 12V in and 9V out.

:queen: :queen: :queen:

Well, I just got back home to the project.

First thing I looked at: the 12V PSU.

AC.

Haha, I just remembered that I had a 12V PSU and assumed it was DC, but I was wrong!

Ok, I'm off to get a new 12V DC PSU! :thumbsup:

Funny how small things like that get passed people...

:queen: :queen: :queen:

Well, I just got back home to the project.

First thing I looked at: the 12V PSU.

AC.

Haha, I just remembered that I had a 12V PSU and assumed it was DC, but I was wrong!

Ok, I'm off to get a new 12V DC PSU! :thumbsup:

Funny how small things like that get passed people...

Don't forget that YOU need a REGULATED 12V DC and not switchmode (because you want to use 6581, otherwise unregulated would be OK).

Good luck with that :thumbsup: They stopped selling them here, it's all switchmode now :mad: