Chip extraction

ulv

The sad news reached me today that there will be no more kits for the sammichSID after batch #9. But. I actually have my old C64 still intact at my mom's house. So. Does anyone have any good tips and/or tricks as to extract the chip(s) from the box? So, perhaps I can build a SID Synth, after all...

Hopefully your SID is not soldered to the motherboard. I have seen a few C64's with this scenario.

If it is not soldered, but is seated in an IC Socket, then, removal is easy. There are some who use IC Pullers, and others that use tools at hand. I don't have an IC Puller, so I use a small jewelers screwdriver. The kind you use for repairing eyeglasses.

Make sure that you have grounded yourself and the screwdriver. You don't want static electricity to destroy your SID.

I just take the small jeweler's screwdriver (flat head) and slide it under one side of the SID, lifting it just a tiny bit. Then I do the same on the other side. I go back an forth, very carefully, just a microscopic move at a time until it comes loose. You will want to be careful not to bend or break any of the pins on the SID. I have attached a photo with arrows pointing to the two areas where I slide the screwdriver under the SID.

If the SID is soldered to the board, then you will need a soldering iron and a desoldering braid or solder-sucker. There are many videos and instructions on the net that describe the best ways to desolder components from PCB's. The key is to start with a cleaned board - clean with alcohol. Adding a bit of flux to the solder joints will help, as well. I've had mixed luck desoldering chips or components from old PCB's. Sometimes it's easy, other times, it's not so easy.

A couple of Notes about dissassembling the C64:

The keyboard has a wire harness that plugs into the motherboard. You can use the small screwdriver to pull it free from it's connection point.

The motherboard has a metal cover on the bottom. If you have to desolder your SID, then this will have to be removed. It's best done with some sort of small tin snips. Don't try to desolder it from the mobo like I did. There's too much heat being drawn from the desoldering point.

After you remove your SID, keep the remaining parts. You never know when you might need them. The power port can be used for the SID v2 optimized PSU. There are projects that repurpose the Keyboard. You may even need to desolder an electronic component or two if you run short in a project. They can be reused, but they are old, so maybe not a good idea. I kept my C64 cases and parts for future projects.

The sad news reached me today that there will be no more kits for the sammichSID after batch #9. But. I actually have my old C64 still intact at my mom's house. So. Does anyone have any good tips and/or tricks as to extract the chip(s) from the box? So, perhaps I can build a SID Synth, after all...

Hiya,

I had an email today saying the kits would still be provided but without sids,did you get the same email?

I have ordered a c64 from ebay and I am also in the process of buying a couple of sids from the fleamarket in the forum.......I hope the kits still are indeed being shipped,mind you I suppose I could always try and source more sids and build an mbsid.

cheers

Paul

Hiya,

I had an email today saying the kits would still be provided but without sids,did you get the same email?

I have ordered a c64 from ebay and I am also in the process of buying a couple of sids from the fleamarket in the forum.......I hope the kits still are indeed being shipped,mind you I suppose I could always try and source more sids and build an mbsid.

cheers

Paul

did the email say how many of the spots of the 9 batches are taken?