GM5 with USB hub

strophlex

I have now built my second gm5x5x5. The firs one was using the 1x1 pcb and vero board and the second one with nils' 5x5x5 pcb. When using them with an usb hub all connected usb devices goes crazy. The mouse becomes slow and the midi communication is interrupted. I thought there was something wrong with my first messy build, but this second one is very neat and tidy so I don't blame my builds any more. I have tried with several different hubs too. Did anybody else experience something similar? Solutions?

I have now built my second gm5x5x5. The firs one was using the 1x1 pcb and vero board and the second one with nils' 5x5x5 pcb. When using them with an usb hub all connected usb devices goes crazy. The mouse becomes slow and the midi communication is interrupted. I thought there was something wrong with my first messy build, but this second one is very neat and tidy so I don't blame my builds any more. I have tried with several different hubs too. Did anybody else experience something similar? Solutions?

You didn't mention what kind of OS you are using.. In this case, that might be the source of your trouble.

I know that the way Windows handles hubs has a few faults, and some programs work fine on the "root hub" but cannot handle being further down the link.

Right now I'm using an 8X8 midi interface and the "class compliant" windows driver.. and because of how my workstation is set up, the MIDI interface is 2 hubs away from the computer. I had to try a few different hubs before I could get it to work (mostly) right.

On my "other" computer, I can drive MIDI hard with any number of hubs, no problem.

All I can suggest is to try a few different USB hubs and hope you find a combination that works for you.

Good Luck,

LyleHaze

It sounds like a power problem with your Hub, are you using an external PSU for it?

If not it's time to try this now, because if the hub is only supplied by your PC the total current drain shouldn't exceed 500 mA

With an external supply it mainly depends on the specs of your PSU

I've connected three GM5 interfaces and two MIOS32 cores (one is a complete MBSEQ V4) to a single hub, the total consumption is more than 1 ampere.

If I disconnect the PSU the MBSEQ LCD backlights are dimmed and the devices won't work reliable anymore, regardless if the Hub is connected to a Macbook Pro or to a Dell PC

Therefore my assumption that you noticed the same effect.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

There seem to be no power issue. Disconnected everything but the GM5 and it still doesn't work. Funny enough a GM5 module with only one in and one out works perfectly. Anyway I tried another hub and it worked perfectly! Using the same power supply and the same USB cable. It is a much cheaper one and it still works with all the other ports connected to harddrive, mouse and another GM5!