MB-6582 resonance encoder question

grizz

Hey all,

I have one last troubleshoot with my MB-6582 that I am having trouble fixing. The problem is simple enough... The resonance encoder, although mounted properly, is reversed. When turned right it decreases in value, and when turned left it increases in value. Does anyone know of any obvious issues that would cause this? I'm thinking it is not a shift register since it is just 1 encoder acting up. Also, all my resister networks are oriented correctly.

Thanks,

Alex

Mine shows the same behaviour...

from my perspective this is the correct and intended way it should work though.

If you don't like it that way, you can reverse the encoder behaviour in the source code setup

and re-compile the application.

If you don't like it that way, you can reverse the encoder behaviour in the source code setup

Interesting, I guess this behavior is unique to the Wilba machines then, since my modular mbsid definitely doesn't work that way.

The resonance knob should work like all the others... clockwise = increasing value. All the encoders should work the same way. Are you sure you used the same kind of encoder in all locations? Check for shorts with those pads, though a short would probably show up as the value always increasing or decreasing regardless of turn direction.

Ok... So it is actually the depth encoder, right next to the resonance. I checked for shorts, and it appears that the three pins are all connected... which I believe would be a short ;-), especially since none of the other encoders have all three pins connected....

Note that encoders work by "shorting" between the common pin (connected to ground) and the other two pins.

Let's call A and B the pins connected to the input pins (i.e. the DIN module, or 74HC165). C is connected to ground. Thus as the encoder turns clockwise (for example), A and then A+B and then B are shorted to ground. If turned anticlockwise, it would be B, then A+B, then A. Hence you can tell which way the encoder is turning based on the pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder

300px-Quadrature_Diagram.svg.png

So an encoder with all pins being connected isn't necessarily faulty if it happens to be at one of the positions where A and B are both connected to C. If it were always connected, it wouldn't work at all.

I am a bit confused now... I can't see how a hardware fault can cause encoders to work backwards... I mean if the wires were swapped that would make sense, but this is a PCB with fixed connections between encoders and the shift registers. Shorts on the PCB would result in encoders either not working or maybe only working one way (increasing values regardless of turn direction).

Could there be swapped wires between the CS PCB and the base PCB?

Can you explain exactly what you mean? Do you have knobs that decrease values when turned clockwise?

W, just what I described in the post, the resonance encoder decreases value when turned clockwise.

But I don't really mind, since a rather simple change in the code can fix that...

It is positively the very same encoder as all others, and it is the only one showing that kind of behaviour.

The connections between mainboard and cs board are all 1:1, I did not accidentally solder the wrong wires

in the wrong place.

Due to that, I initially concluded that this is the intended behaviour for that specific knob.

Edited by lucem

It's very strange that it still works with inverted behaviour. It would be good (for me) to confirm that it really is a hardware issue and know what it is, so if anyone else has similar problems with anything, I can help troubleshoot better.

Are the resistor networks (R39) correctly oriented for that 74HC165?

If it was my MB-6582, I'd be curious to work out what's wrong... I'd desolder the JD5 cable, connect that encoder to different pins to work out if it was the encoder or the shift register doing strange things.... but I won't ask you to desolder anything... if it works and you don't care, then leave it alone I guess... :whistle: