Faders for MidiBox 64

sthoe91

Hey,

my name is Stefan, i'm from Germany and i'm new at this board.

I'm planning to build a midibox 64 for controlling DMX-Software or Cubase over Midi. I want to have faders, potis and knobs.

Here I have a question about the faders. Months ago i bought 20 pieces of linear 470k Faders. In the description of the midibox 64 and the AIN-Module is written that they use 10k Faders.

So I have the question if I could use the 470k Faders, although 10k Faders are recommended. Another possibility could be to put a 10k resistor parallel to the faders, so that i have a complete resistance of 10k ohm (voltage divider law - "Spannungsteilergesetz")

Is this possible, or do I have to buy 10k Faders?

I hope you can understand my English and my problem :-)

MfG

Stefan

Hier nochmal kurz auf Deutsch:

Ich will die Midibox 64 bauen. Habe vor längerer Zeit 470k Fader gekauft und will diese für das Projekt nutzen. Kann ich diese direkt verwenden oder muss ich einen 10k widerstand parallel schalten, damit ich einen Gesamtwiderstand von 10k ohm habe (Spannungsteilergesetz).Oder geht keine von diesen beiden Möglichkeiten.

Hi and welcome :)

adding a parallel 10k resistor doesn't change anything - in mid position, the wiper still has 235k resistance in reference to VCC and GND.

The 10k faders is a reasonable recommendation, but that doesn't mean that 5k or 20k don't work. But 470k is quite a huge value, you can try them but you'll probably get very unstable/jittering values in the middle area of the faders. So probably you will need to buy some new 10k faders.

Seppoman

Nochmal kurz auf Deutsch: ausprobieren ;)

Another option.. if you want to use those faders would be to use an op-amp to buffer each fader.

Easy to work out, but you want "rail to rail" amps so you don't lose the top and bottom edges of the signal.

Or have a op-amp supply that is above and below the fader range

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

Hi Stefan,

the faders will work, but they are stereo faders. This means, that they're basically two faders in one housing with one common knob.

I did a quick search, but I wasn't able to find some mono faders at reichelt. This is weird, because I've bought some cheap "radiohm" faders (10k, mono) some months ago.

Try searching Conrad or eBay.

@SLP: What did you pay for the Mono-Faders?

IIRC, it was somewhere between 1 and 2€. But they were the cheapest ones I could find, and they feel terrible.

If I were you, I'd accept Roger's offer and buy him a beer (or two) ;)

If you have some of those to spare Roger, after you sort Stefan out, then I'll be happy to buy some from you and pay postage.

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Yes, I have some many of them spare but lets keep this topic concerned solving Stefan's "problem".

I'll start a new topic in "Fleemarket" as soon as I'll find the time. Please be patient until then.

Greets, Roger