Matching switches to protoboard/veroboard holes

findbuddha

This may be a silly question :)

I have some E-Switch TL1100F160Q. Datasheet says they need a hole ~1.3mm diameter.

They won't fit in the holes of the scraps of protoboard I have....

Is it possible to find pad-per-hole protoboard with big enough holes, or should I choose a different switch?

Failing that I get custom PCB made - I was going to do this anyway until I found out that gold phoenix can't do big enough for what I want (in one order).

Cheers! :sorcerer:

I'm surprised it doesn't fit... this switch is the one I use a lot (MB-SEQ, sammichSID) and it seems to fit my prototyping PCBs nicely.

med_gallery_3590_6_318049.jpg

You probably don't even need a drill bit, just using the tip of a craft knife should be enough to widen the hole just enough for the pin.

Get a 1.3mm drill and off you go. Do you already have the switches? Cause sometimes the pins aren't really quite as big as it says in the datasheet.

I don't have all the switches, I just bought a few to sample. Thought that was best before I buy 256+ for a big BLM/control surface. :)

I'm surprised it doesn't fit... this switch is the one I use a lot (MB-SEQ, sammichSID) and it seems to fit my prototyping PCBs nicely.med_gallery_3590_6_318049.jpgYou probably don't even need a drill bit, just using the tip of a craft knife should be enough to widen the hole just enough for the pin.

Wilba, where do you get your protoboards? The typical aus stores don't seem to sell pad-per-hole stuff. I'm looking at this stuff at the moment: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5PCS-CIRCUIT-PANEL-PCB-DIY-Prototype-Board-180x300mm-/170447513484, or this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Prototype-Circuit-Board-23000-pad-per-hole500x300mm-/150394989810, but I'm a bit worried about such a large sheet breaking in transit.

You could also use a small screwdriver to widen the holes.Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll give it a try :)

I may have bought some before like the first link... I recall it was a pack of 5 with similar dimensions. I wouldn't worry about breakage in transit, the phenolic stuff is actually pretty flexible, and even if packed flat in an envelope it will survive postage.

Photo shows some stuff I got ages ago, either from Dick Smith Electronics or maybe Futurlec (ugh!) probably from the last order I ever did with them, highly unrecommended. You're right though... most local places have stripboard or nothing. Try Altronics or Rockby perhaps.