Driving analogue synths

taximan

Hi all,

Alongside the other twenty million projects I have under way (slight exaggeration) I am building a Thomas Henry MPS analogue unit,could someone please tell me what midibox unit(s) I would need to 'midify' it.if this is possible?

cheers

Paul

you could build a MBCV. you should be able to use the cv(s) to control pitch(es) and i guess you could use the gate(s) to trigger the MPS(s). if the MPS really requires short trigger impulses you can probably generate these out of a gate signal without much effort.

but can't tell from own experience, as i haven't finished mine yet (neither CV nor MPS)

you could build a MBCV. you should be able to use the cv(s) to control pitch(es) and i guess you could use the gate(s) to trigger the MPS(s). if the MPS really requires short trigger impulses you can probably generate these out of a gate signal without much effort.

but can't tell from own experience, as i haven't finished mine yet (neither CV nor MPS)

Hiya Rosch,

I am also building a klee sequencer which will be able to drive it but I wanted something I could use on the pc (hence the 'midification' question) the mps is supposed to be part of a modular system but I think it would make a great synth if 'midified' (is that even a word I ask myself?).

I guess I will have to keep on learning and reading and fathom it out.

I have to admit that at 48 yrs old I can't figure out why did I start building electronics as a hobby?.....lol.

cheers

Paul

I have to admit that at 48 yrs old I can't figure out why did I start building electronics as a hobby?.....lol.

because you're young at heart!?

with the cv it all depends on how you configure it. there are some people who built some for their modular with 8 cvs and 8 gates. you'll find a lot of info about this here in the forum. maybe another thing worth reading about is the MB808 drum sequencer.

please tell me what midibox unit(s) I would need to 'midify' it.if this is possible?

yeah mbcv is a great standalone box for such a thing and you can use it without an lcd if you don't use presets.

i've got 2 MPS's and they trigger fine from mbhp.

i have an mbcv with 8 gate outs and 2 cv outs (aout-lc).

i also have seq v3 with 8 gate outs.

best of all build seq v4 with aout-ng (8 gate & 8 cv) and not need a computer.. perfect if u plan on a long adventure in modular-land. :thumbsup:

i didn't mention pitch cv control of MPS cos i've just realised mine is non-functional!

but it is analog and not really 'midifiable' besides the gate & pitch. (unless you really want to go there.. :twitch: )