MB-6582 manga/commodore frontpanel

Hawkeye

Hi folks, just added two HPGL line engravings to the standard frontpanel design.

Upper left: a nice manga converted to vector and plotter outline. Lower right: commodore "octacore 8580 audio" logo.

Additional price at FPE: ca 15€, costs now 111€.

Hope you like it. Will sleep this over and if i still like it tomorrow, order at FPE soon.

If you are interested in the Corel-Draw .cdr, HPGL .plt or Frontpanel Designer .fpd files, just tell me, I will share them gladly.

Thanks for your help considering the options with screws and glue to bind frontpanel and interface-pcb!

I will do it now as many people do it: 4 screws in the corners (flathead) through the case mounting holes AND the pcb,

and about 20 spacers directly glued to the backside of the frontpanel.

Bye!

Hawkeye

post-7895-016794700 1280183193_thumb.png

Edited by Hawkeye

Wow man thats awesome!

I am insanely jealous.

I thought a panel would with a commodore logo would be cool, but i never actually thought of adding it myself, i didnt think there would be enough room.

If a tribute mb-6582 was ever built for Bob Yannes, it be cool to get one made up with his signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! Got it!

I am a happy man now :-D.

The panel has been very well manufactured by FPE/Schaeffer AG.

Just eating the gummibears that came with the package and waiting for SmashTVs parts delivery ;-).

Can´t wait to hear ´em 8580s screaming. Thanks to all of you who have made this great project possible!

And by the way: does no one have 15 red waldorf knobs for sale? Pleeaase? The lady wants them so baaaad ;-)

post-7895-099912000 1281019752_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after a ridiculous session at the german customs (buerocracy to the max), I started soldering the base board. After that session, my back and head was hurting like shit, my hands were shaking and I was high on solder fumes :). Was a lot of fun and is far from finished yet. I broke the capacitor C2 while inserting it and the SID output sections are still missing :-(.

Thanks for the great and complete kit and documentation Wilba and Smash, and of course for the concept, TK!

post-7895-097737100 1281899570_thumb.jpg

Hola!

The MBSID base works, just a few days after the parts package arrived from SmashTV...

Had a great time building it, now letz move on to the CS :-)...

By the way, Rutger´s Patch Librarian rocks (for those still CSless like me, it is great to get a preview of what will be possible with the control surface).

Aaah, and the 8580 sounds yummy, btw. Never thought the low pass filter would sound so nice... Very cool!

My only problem during build was a datasheet error for the LCD - they printed the wrong polarity for the backlight - but it was cheap at 9USD from China though, you cannot ask for a correct datasheet, i guess :).

Ah, and ups, gotta insert that C2, but it runs without it, too :).

Bye,

Peter

PS: The V-Synth it is sitting on is just for providing MIDI input and holding the LCD, ofc :).

EDIT 2.PS: WHOAH! Incredible, what the Midibox SID squeezes out of a single SID. Great, great work and big kudos to you, TK! (Just played around with the lead engine, outstanding!)

post-7895-010756600 1282068097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkeye

Here is a very quick (spent half an hour) soundcheck, no control surface yet, which allows sound tweaking, but some very convincing sounds out of a single SID.

Just some random key bashing - am very tired because of nights of soldering and could not keep the tempo, also the notes very improvised, so forgive the childish melody ;-). But the arpeggiator rocks ;-)

Part B is a test of the 303ish "acid" step sequencer, which is truly excellent, can´t wait until the CS is ready...

MIDIBox SID Soundcheck

Great progress!

I should warn you, the connector you use at J15 (i.e. the LCD connector) is most likely not going to have enough clearance with the control surface PCB when it's all assembled in the case. This is why I recommend an IDC connector/ribbon cable, and not inserting the "stress relief" part of the connector. Just a heads-up so you can plan another trip to the store ;)

Excellent work! Took me about 3 years to get that far ;).

I notice you have SIL headers on the base board, for where the CS will connect.

What connectors are you planning to use there?

If you're planning to use the same connector thats used for the LCD, it will be too big,

theres even less space to play with there, than with J15.

Edited by Smithy

Hoi Smithy, thx mate ;-)

Planning to use these:

http://www.musikding...tor-8-pins.html

They are cheap and as far as i have seen there should be just enough room.

The cable is also already attached to the connectors - should save some time.

If it does not fit, I will solder the boards together as per Wilbas original instructions, no problem.

Awaiting the reichelt order, cannot wait for the CS to become true ;).

Woah, and btw, received two old C64s from ebay today for harvesting. They were totally moulded! As in totally! White "foam" everywhere inside. Woaaah! :)

Could not bear the smell in the apartment, so took them apart on the balcony and ripped apart two working but smelly 8580s. He heh.

Bye!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Those look a bit big alright, i ordered these ones which were posted in the "Killed CS thread", they have a shorter connector:

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2;GROUP=C1442;GROUPID=3224;ARTICLE=32346;START=0;SORT=artnr;OFFSET=16;SID=32mZJE3awQASAAAHg@5Ood0868d254968150e47f106737357f08f

Or from Conrad:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/741256/PLATINEN-STECKVERBINDER-8-POLIG

Edited by Smithy

I recommend you use flat washers in between the spring washers and the screws that go into the threaded spacers for the CS.

The spring washers on their own tend to eat up the lovely gold plates on the PCB,

im wishing i used flat washers now.

Just adding that tip here so i dont post in the middle of your guide for the CS Construction.

If i can think of any worthwhile tips ill post them here. ;)

I haz made Knob Removal tool, in case you fuck up after you have finished mb-6582,

e.g. ribbon cable breaks or whatever.

Cut a rectangle/square into a piece of plastic card, like a credit card or whatever.

Make sure the notch is about 7mm wide to fit around the shaft of the encoder / pot.

Slide it under the knob, and lift it off. This way helps prevent marking the panel.

Told you i wouldnt have anything worthwile. :wink:

Edited by Smithy

Yeeesss, man that totally made my day! Especially the background speech. Great vid! ;-) *smiling now*

Btw: your MB6582 is looking great!

o_O

Dude you're not meant to be awake! Go haz some sleepz nao plz!

You must be too excited from building all day! I know the feeling.

Edited by Smithy

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to necro-raise this thread, but i got two things on my mind, and i cannot sleep...

a) Smithy, that hot gurrrl voice, was that you? :-))) Unfortunately not, i guess :)

b) I posted two historic MB6582-baseboard-hi-res screenshots (10 mpix, beware) for krisschneider, who wants to build one and whom i promised some. Will be heading to holidays soon and can´t deliver in the next weeks :)

The first pic is without the SID output sections and without all SIL/DIL headers.

The second one is complete except C2 in the power section and the 1kOhm resistors for the CS.

Sorry for spamming :)

Gnight, Hawkeye :)

post-7895-089313800 1284324041_thumb.jpg

post-7895-024221800 1284324114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkeye

• 1 year later...

I love your front panel design! How did you export the manga to HGPL? I have an image (ok, my avatar you see here) that I'd like to try to put on my front panel... Right now it's in .tiff format.. No color obviously, just a black and white image. What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Edited by Blatboy

Hi there,

glad you like it - you have to convert your bitmap to vector format, and then export it in a format that can be read by the FPE/Schaeffer Frontpanel Designer (i think it was HPGL).

I used a corel draw 30days testversion for that job, and it worked fine :)

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye