CORE32, a new start

protofuse

hello friends !

I hope you're all fine.

I didn't come here for a while, busy with music, design, ableton live courses & protodeck's demo & use and last little live (check around 7'30 to see the leds..)

Now, it is the upgrade time !

I have a couple of questions.

I read this important thing:

In distance to MIOS8, MIOS32 doesn't require a separate installation since it is integrated in the application binary.

It means: I code my app. I compile the whole stuff and upload this *big binary? right ?

So it means I can modify the os part + adding my app part and compile the whole etc ?

About uploading.

in order to understand well.

On a preprog STM32 (I mean: where uploader already flashed inside), I can upload through USB. OK

On a virgin device (or on a preprog I would like to reflash on my own in order to test, tweak, understand well) I have to use JTAG or my LTC+COM PORT to wrap the JTAG on CORE32 ... right? (I read http://www.ucapps.de...ap_experts.html )

all the best,

Edited by protofuse

That's correct one big upload will both update MIOS and the application. "Big" sounds slow, but in fact it's a lot faster than your average MIOS8 app upload - thanks to USB.

On a blank chip you'll need to install "the uploader" via JTAG, that's correct.

That's correct one big upload will both update MIOS and the application. "Big" sounds slow, but in fact it's a lot faster than your average MIOS8 app upload - thanks to USB.

On a blank chip you'll need to install "the uploader" via JTAG, that's correct.

thanks nILS.

I'm feeling more comfortable than when I began with core8 here more than 1 year ago :)

On the blank chip, the uploader is only in case I want to upload things via USB ?! right?!

I mean, I could use only JTAG everytime if I wanted to

no?

It is only to understand the stuff.

On the blank chip, the uploader is only in case I want to upload things via USB ?! right?!

I mean, I could use only JTAG everytime if I wanted to

Right, the "uploader" is part of every successfully compiled MIOS32 project, be it an official one or your own. It can receive uploads via USB or via MIDI. As long as nothing goes terribly wrong you won't ever need a JTAG, but still you could do all your uploads only via JTAG if you want to. As anything you'd upload is in one single package and not split into three parts anymore (like bootoader, MIOS8 and application), every new upload is a fresh start so it doesn't matter which upload method you choose.

The big benefit of having a JTAG at hand when you program your own stuff is that you can also use the JTAG to debug/trace what your program does using OpenOCD and either Insight or e.g. CodeBlocks.

S

Right, the "uploader" is part of every successfully compiled MIOS32 project, be it an official one or your own. It can receive uploads via USB or via MIDI. As long as nothing goes terribly wrong you won't ever need a JTAG, but still you could do all your uploads only via JTAG if you want to. As anything you'd upload is in one single package and not split into three parts anymore (like bootoader, MIOS8 and application), every new upload is a fresh start so it doesn't matter which upload method you choose.

The big benefit of having a JTAG at hand when you program your own stuff is that you can also use the JTAG to debug/trace what your program does using OpenOCD and either Insight or e.g. CodeBlocks.

S

thanks a lot for your answer!

I got it!