-5V instead +5V

Fairlightiii

Hello everyone.

Sorry for my bad English (I'm french).

I've assembled a SmashTV Core R4d kit.

I've used the tutorial "Assembling_a_MIDIbox_Core.pdf" by Jim Henry.

In this tutorial before inserting PIC and opto-isolator he advices to measure the voltage between four pairs of pins. He says it should be very close to 5 volts but when I do it I measure -5V instead +5V.

I'm sure some of you have an idea what is the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Jérôme.

Hi Jerome..

This is just a guess, but maybe you are using the + and - of the multimeter in the wrong way? Are you sure you did not accidentally use the red probe(+) on the 'ground' pin of PIC, and the black probe(-) on the +5V of PIC?

I don't know the guide-pdf file you are using, but on the ucapps.de site, there is also a description how to measure core, it says:

Apply power to the module after all parts except the PIC and the optocoupler are mounted. Check the voltage levels between the most important pins with a multimeter (analog or digital doesn't matter) before plugging the PIC and the 6N138 into the socket:

IC1:MCLR(1) - IC1:Vss(12) = 5V

IC1:Vdd(11) - IC1:Vss(12) = 5V

IC1:Vdd(32) - IC1:Vss(31) = 5V

IC2(8) - IC2:(5) = 5V

Please try to check voltage again according to the stuff i quoted from ucapp.de, and let us know if you still get the same result

Crossing my fingers :)

Flemming

Thank you for your answers.

JRock:

Maybe you have the leads on the PSU switched around backwards.

I tested with inverted PSU leads and the problem is still there. Also I've read that PSU polarity doesn't matter...

If that isn't it just switchthe leads on your multimeter around! :laugh:

I checked the polarity of the leads of the multimeter and it seems OK (com="+" and v_ohm="GND").

Flemming:

Please try to check voltage again according to the stuff i quoted from ucapp.de, and let us know if you still get the same result

I checked the voltage but always -5V, assuming the pin 1 of the IC1 (PIC) is the one at the bottom-left and the pin 1 of the IC2 (6N138) is the one at the top-left when you can read "IC1" and "IC2" in the "right way" (= not upside down) - see the picture – I can't read the first pin of the ICs on SmashTV Core (perhaps under the sockets).

If you have another idea, let me know...

Voltage_IC1&IC2.gif

Edited by Fairlightiii

This picture shows the pin numbers of the PIC pin http://circuits.datasheetdir.com/19/PIC16F874A-pinout.jpg

Notice the notch in one end of the chip - you can see the same notch in one end of your PIC socket so you can easily identify the right pins to measure.

Here is the optocoupler 6N138 http://msxlink.chat.ru/img/elements/6n138.jpg

Same thing; there is a round 'mark' at pin1, and that mark resembles the notch in the 6N138 socket.

It's hard for me to visualise 'bottom-left' and 'top-left' since i don't know which way your core is turning :D but with the links above you should be able to easily identify the right pins..

For the pins marked 'Vss' you should use the black probe of the multimeter. Red probe on 'MCLR' and 'Vdd' pins (according to this link http://encyclobeamia.solarbotics.net/articles/vxx.html)

Edit: Nice, you posted a picture now :) looks correct, so just forget this!

Edited by Flemming