A couple SID questions...

Guest Da5id

Is there any advantage to having a crystal on the SID module in addition to the CORE?  I noticed Thorsten's example 4-SID unit does.

As to adding some pots to the SID, or joysticks or ribbon controllers (I've got a homemade 18" ribbon that might be fun to use), is this provided for in the SID firmware? If so, what's required electronically to hook up some pots, etc. (just some AIN modules?) and can they be assigned to different parameters on a patch-by-patch basis?

Thanks!!

From what i understand, the crystal on the  Core is required to make the PIC perform correctly, where the crystal (1mhz?) on the SID is to make the SID chip function correctly!

You should just be able to connect the pots to AIN module, making sure to connect the 4051 multiplexors :)

Sorry if any of the above is wrong :D

Please don't sue me

The oscillators on the SID module are mounted for historical reasons - at the time where I started with this project I didn't know if the clock out pin (RC1 of the PIC) will still be free in the final version or allocated by the control surface. Fortunately the PIC18F is powerful enough, so that the pin is still available for clocking the SID.

Using pots or other analog sensors: possible (see MIOS board). Assignments are not supported yet, but could be integrated in the future (also for rotary encoders)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

OK, so if I were to use a bunch of encoders, even, then they are locked to a particular assignment under SID 1.5?

What about setting up a separate CORE to handle analog in, for pots, joysticks, faders, ribbons, etc. and using MIDI CC data? Are the different parameters easily assigned to different CCs for realtime control?

Thanks!

OK, so if I were to use a bunch of encoders, even, then they are locked to a particular assignment under SID 1.5?

Yes, the encoder assignments are hardcoded in a text file and are the same for all patches.

What about setting up a separate CORE to handle analog in, for pots, joysticks, faders, ribbons, etc. and using MIDI CC data? Are the different parameters easily assigned to different CCs for realtime control?

This is very possible. Every parameter (with the exception of wavetables) can be controlled by CCs see:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/sid_cc_implementation_chart.txt

Justin

I have a question too:  My encoders arrived today, 30 of them.  Originally to build two SIDs, one for myself and one for a friend. I'm not building that one of him now.

So, if I can eliminate one encoder from the SID front panel, I have enough left over to build myself a 16E.

I notice that the Step A SID has the option of using either an encoder or up/down buttons for editing.  I assume that the code stays the same, so if replace the editing encoder with two buttons on the Step C, that will still work (?)  

I notice that the Step A SID has the option of using either an encoder or up/down buttons for editing.  I assume that the code stays the same, so if replace the editing encoder with two buttons on the Step C, that will still work (?)  

yes

Best Regards, Thorsten.