Going for it

technobreath

Hey,

Many years ago I had to forget the mbsid build I wanted because of different stuff in my life getting in the way of just about everything. I traded off SIDs and parts to other enthusiastst and comforted myself that I had solutions like the SID VSTi from reFX.

When my life situation allowed for it I came back here now to build a MB LC for my studio and realized it was going to take some planning before I could start the build, and it's gonna take some time. SO I started browsing through some of the forums just to see what's going on, and I got in here with the SIDs :) And I was hooked again. Before knowing it I was planning how to get the parts without and hide the costs from my wife :)

I already got one SID chip (yet untested) and I plan to get one more or 3 more. Of course if I'm lucky to get 8 in total, I will be happy with that too... :)

From the last time I looked at mbSID there has come a new version and a lot of new stuff. so naturally I have a few questions and hope you don't mind :).

- Does it pose any problems using a pair of 8580s and a pair of 6581s in a 4xSID setup? It is so hard to come by SIDs and I feel I gotta take what I get...

- I'm not a very good synth programmer - is there ready sets of patches for me to download and save on my banksticks?

- does a patch (by that I mean instrument sound) from a 2xSID synth work with a 4x SID?

- Can I play SID tunes from my computer on the mbsid without changing firmware?

- Is all engines available at the instrument or do I have to change firmware for switch from lead to bassline to multi and so on?

- I see TK recommends the original c64 PSU for best S/N ratio, but I see people having trouble with them - some talk of blown caps etc... I have most components in my arsenal already to build a PSU from scratch - is there any schematics available for making a linear PSU for the SID supplying all voltages needed for a system with potentially both SID types in? isnt it supposed to be 5, 12 and 9 volts?

- I think I'm going to do a modular build with a full control surface - mainly because I can spread the costs more, and I would also just love to make my own layout of the control surface. I thought of the ready made PCBs, they have a nice layout, and the boxes made from them are really nice, but it's more appealing to me to do my own design... just because :). Any thought on pros and cons of doing modular vs a single PCB?

Thanks for any advice!

Best regards,

Ingebret

hi!

no problem using different sids, but one core should sontrol one type of them. so if you have 2 cores you can drive both types.

there are dedicated firmwares for 8580 and 6581, as well as different voltages and filter caps.

all engines are there, you can switch in the menu.

regarding the modular you can still get you a MB6582 base pcb (and/or parts kit) from SmashTV and add sections to your control surface later.

it's much less cables that way and you can also fill the 6582 synth sections step by step

(you don't have to use 8 sids, can also start with 1)

have fun!

Edited by rosch

Oh yeah, I see it's only the baseboard that is in the kit - that simplyfies things - As much as I like control surface board design, I still want to make my own design. So I saw it as a waste to buy the kit if I got that board too that I didn't need. But now thats settled - im getting the MB6582 kit.

- Can someone give me the measurements of the board, so that I can start looking for a case, or make one myself...?

- Do I need any parts in addition to the kit?

- Is there any PSU components on the MB6582? If not I gather I need to build a complete PSU in addition to this kit.

-> It that's the case, what's the specs on the PSU? I don't remember if I asked already, but is there a PSU schematics for a PSU that delivers all voltages needed for MB6582?

- One thing a little off topic - since I last was here there is a lot of new stuff. With the possibility for asking a very stupid question - I do it anyway: what is sammich? I see a lot of talk about sammich, but can't seem to get exactly what it is... :)

You can find answers to all of your questions by searching the forum a little bit, saerching in our wiki, reading on ucapps.de

There are also extensive threads and documents that describe the mb6582 in very great detail. Such documents and threads also exist for the SammichSID.

Happy reading :flowers:

Thanks,

I don't mean to ask too obvious questions... I have a bad habit of asking before thinking - will try to get better at that :) I read up on sammichSID, only to find out that I didn't need to bother reading it, coz it's not what I want :) Great for those who want it simple though :)

This weekend I have made some real progress on the start of my project. I have a completely restored C64c running with C64HDD software - so I don't want to cannibalize this one. So I just bought 2 6581s from Toadstool and I also bought a C64c from norwegian qxl.no (online auctions) - sold as is, only the computer - no wires, no nothing - so I hope it works, I had to pay for it too - shipping is insinly expensive, so I pay just as much for shipping as for the actual computer. But it's gonna be worth it. So that means I have gotten 3 SID chips in less than a week - not bad.

Next is to order in the MB6582 kit from smashtv - think that will be happening first thing in january or maybe before. I have no time during christmas to build anyway, so I thought I spread the costs a bit.

The 6582 synthesizer I just realized - will become a very expensive synth when finished! Oh shit, I'm gonna need to get it insured - maybe get the whole studio equipment special insured :)... The kit is inexpensive, the sids are really expensive, and the amount of time for me to build it is "expensive". As I recall the SIDstation is pretty expensive - now I kind of understand why :) - I always wanted a SIDstation - but the midibox beats it so easily :).

I'll post some more about it when I get started for real.

If you people want I can make a worklog... Is there a special place for worklogs in the forum, or is it just to post a worklog in the SID section?

regards,

ingebret