Modular Rack Controller

sidysm

I have an idea for a new type of midi controller.

We could design a 1, 2 or 4U master unit which would basically be a midi link for up to four, eight or sixteen Cores which could be connected to the rear via 15 pin sub D's.

This would send midi to the P.C. via midi and modular rack controllers could be plugged in to control vst fx and instruments.

We could work as a group to develop multifunctional controllers, and eventually more specific controllers for more commonly used plugins, with midi controls mapped specific to that plugins specs.

We could share all the code and designs for specific plugs and they would be a great accompanyment to a midi controller to bring proper analogue hardware control to a DAW system.

Each rack would only need a few rotary encoders and buttons, and some possibly a LCD display, they would be easy and cheap, most could probably be based on the 16E design.

What do y'all think?

This is very similar to the idea I have had.  But not identical.

I am planning on building a 16E in a 1U or 2U rackmount.  Then when the MIOS port of the firmware comes out, reflashing the PIC.  Extra controllers (pots, faders, CV sockets) can be added as needed, as rows of 19" panels mounted above or below the 16E.  

One CORE should be sufficient though, and the extra panels would contain the extra circuit boards such as AIN, DIN, DOUT etc.  The connectors between the panels would only need to carry power and the signal from the input/output boards to the CORE.  The firmware should pick them up automatically.

I considered that way also as 1 core would make it a lot cheaper and only one power supply also.

The only thing I wasn't sure of was the flexibility of having multiple Dins and Douts which are not full connected to the core.

1) Dude think about how much the other parts in a box like this cost, and then the price of a free PIC from the samples site.... The PIC is not really the source of concern when it comes to price :)

2)MBLink :D

• 5 months later...
The PIC is not really the source of concern when it comes to price :)

You're right, it's my dodgy soldering  :-/  That's why I want to expand with as few new components as possible.

The bit I'm still not sure on is whether I will have to change any code when I add new controllers, or whether MIOS will pick them straight up.

[glow=red,2,300]All hail the might of MIOS ![/glow]

"We could work as a group to develop multifunctional controllers, and eventually more specific controllers for more commonly used plugins, with midi controls mapped specific to that plugins specs. "

Hmm... In wich way you would do this:

like: One make this part an the other a other part

like: On make the Front 19 HE (by a CNC built with the Core and programmed with PC ;D -could be nice)

One the cases one the PCB´s one the PCB soldering (with a soldering machine controlled by the core and PC?) and alltogether electronic parts?

I have read that is a non profit projekt?

Is Mios for free, or/and for "capitalism"

Or is anyone a extrem cool programmer like TK

and can programm Mios new?

Dont understand me false, that is for me a great Idea ;)

(When this project is cheap, better, cooler for consumer

cheeper as Roland Emu Akai and so on we can destroy the capitalism of Music Industrie-MP3... Midibox we are on the way ;D)

One core with diff plug in modules containing Ains Dins etc works well

Just need to use different bank stick set ups and switch via the core

Take care with the length of cable esp if you have midi data via the cables, and use good sheilding

I had a few lil probs with box (not major tho)

"

I have read that is a non profit projekt?

Is Mios for free, or/and for "capitalism"

Or is anyone a extrem cool programmer like TK

and can programm Mios new?

First: MIOS is definetely non profit. Read the GNU for more. This also means absolutely no capitalism thing for sure! And I like it!

Second: Nope, only TK is the extrem cool programmer.  ;) Just kidding... ;D

Don´t get me wrong: I really do like the idea of that modular thing (making a whole 40U rack for MIOS - coooool). But shouldn´t it stay non-profit & DIY?