2mm panels, 8mm spacers?

m00dawg

I know the MB-6582 CS design calls for 10mm spacers and a 1.5mm panel (or 11.5mm total). Since I will be using a rackmount CS design, I don't need to worry about the panel thickness as much (there is no groove I need the panel to fit into). So I was going to go with a standard 2mm panel.

That means that I would need 9.5mm spacers to keep the same dimensions. I found 3/8", but that is 9.525 and I was worried the extra space might make the buttons sink in too much. So, I was thinking of going with 8mm spacers (or 10mm total) but then the encoders may not fit in the gap.

So, yet another option is to get the 6x6x15.85mm switches (instead of the 6x6x12mm). Anyone have any thoughts on those or my options in general? I can put in a request for the 1.5mm panel, but I do want something that will last and, if I don't have to worry about the panel width as much, I was thinking I should get a panel that doesn't raise a red flag with FrontPanel Express?

I was just looking at mouser.com and found some spacers that are 9 mm (like http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harwin/R30-6010902/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtnzxi%2fA5nO1fVZufCSfDRrenG5OZuXLJg%3d ), but I didn't take the time to check that they have an internal thread.

You could also use something like this:

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harwin/R30-3001002/?qs=%252bk6%2f5FB6qrkuRvrGTPmTGA%3d%3d

Instead of using screws to hold the board down you'd use nuts, and a nut driver.

If you end up going with 8 mm spacers, you could shim the board a bit using washers. It would be a bit of a nuisance to assemble though.

Didn't think of looking at Mouser, oops :) I was looking at McMaster as that is where I went for all the screw hardware for the MB-6582. 9mm may work just about perfect since the height of the encoders (other than the shaft obviously) seems to be around 8.25mm or so. Having a little more of the buttons pop out of the panel seems like a benefit as long as it's not too far anyway.

I also didn't think of using the male/female spacers, that's actually a very good idea! I always write those off unfairly but in this case, that's perfect. I was going to use just a long screw to go through that shaft, but that seems silly over just using the male/female spacers.

Thanks for the ideas!

So I found a few options using the male/female spacers (thanks again, Nebula!)

Here are some 9mm spacers from Mouser. Trouble is, it's out of stock with an estimated 9 week restocking time. Ouch.

Here are spacers with a US length of 11/32" which is about 8.73mm. The bourns encoders I am using are around 8.27mm from the base to that front metal bubble thing. So this sounds like it could do the trick as that gives me 10.75 for a 2mm panel or 11.25 for a 2.5mm panel, both of which are less then the 11.5mm I calculated earlier, but not so much that it would be ridiculous (I don't think).

As much as I hate to say it, if the US standoffs are in stock, the US measurement system may have, unfortunately, won this round :) (Yes, I live in the US, but I think inches and feet are stupid).

EDIT: After I slept on it, I realized I needed to measure the LCD panel. Sure enough the 4x20 I have requires about 8.7mm of space, so that's making things a bit close...hmmm...

EDIT2: LCD should be ok since the actual distance is the bezel minus the board thinkness (since it is mounted behind the board). Last I measured it was around 8.2mm I believe. Close, but not a problem I suspect.

Edited by m00dawg