sammichsid display brightness

Delavinci

You will have to elaborate on your LCD issue as I'm not totally following you. It sounds like you just have an inverted LCD (the letters light up instead of the background being lit with black letters). Maybe post a pic?

As far as the voltages, I would suggest you recheck and make sure you have your pins right (which ones are GND versus +V). If you're getting -5V it could just mean you have your probes backwards but I would check to make sure you know what's going on before you move on. Those SIDs aren't easily replaceable these days. Everytime a SID dies, God kills a puppy. Don't kill puppies.

(Note that the sammichSID does not use a bipolar supply. You should have +5V, +9V/+12V, and GND. +9V or +12V depends on the type of SIDs you are using)

ok so i seemed to be holding some of the probes backwards , now i get no more -V , but as i read your post i saw my powersupply was on 12V , while it should only be on 9V , but now i dont get the required 5V , and the lcd dont light up at all now , could it be to low mA? ony 300mA on my powersupply

To verify, you have a 12VDC power supply going into the SID? That should be sufficient if you have 6582/8580 SIDs which require 9V as the 12V will get regulated down to 9V for the SID audio and 5V for the CORE and SID digital (check the sammichSID build guide to see how that happens). 300mA may be a bit low - depends on your brightness. 500mA is the recommended minimum. Check the wiki for more information on that.

I have 12V going in 500mA now , still same problem , but i'm wondering if it has to do with the jumper on JBL ; which lcd is deliverd in the sammichSIDkit , I set its jumper to 5V coz lcd marks 5V. I will make some pictures tomorrow I dont' have a camera here.

If you are using the supplied LCD :

High-power Backlight LCD (i.e. LED array)

If you are using a high-power backlight LCD that requires 250mA or more, then you should put a shunt in

JBL in the “12V†position. It is labelled “12V†but it actually will be whatever voltage is coming into the

base PCB, i.e. the input to the 7809 voltage regulator. Most often this is going to be 12V-14V. Put a shunt

in JR4 to increase current. Turn brightness trimpot to approximately 2 o'clock, this gives the optimal

current for a high-power backlight LCD being supplied by 12V and is considered “safeâ€. Experienced

builders can try connecting a 2-pin SIL connector to JBL and measuring the actual current passing

through JBL pins (i.e. between 12V and the backlight circuit).

If you are using the supplied LCD :

High-power Backlight LCD (i.e. LED array)

If you are using a high-power backlight LCD that requires 250mA or more, then you should put a shunt in

JBL in the “12V†position. It is labelled “12V†but it actually will be whatever voltage is coming into the

base PCB, i.e. the input to the 7809 voltage regulator. Most often this is going to be 12V-14V. Put a shunt

in JR4 to increase current. Turn brightness trimpot to approximately 2 o'clock, this gives the optimal

current for a high-power backlight LCD being supplied by 12V and is considered “safeâ€. Experienced

builders can try connecting a 2-pin SIL connector to JBL and measuring the actual current passing

through JBL pins (i.e. between 12V and the backlight circuit).

ah great this was the trouble , problem fixed with the extra shunt on JR4 !

Thx a lot !

Lets continue the build , almost there :D