help moding MPD24 - parts

mekonca

I want to replace useless 360 encoders on AKAI MPD24 with some regular potentiometer. Is it possible? If yes which I should buy? Here is the picture of MPD24 PCB and encoders have 4 pins in front and 2 a side:

mpd24pcb.jpg

And I would like to change faders with longer one, 10cm. Again which should I buy?

here is the picture of the original faders:

yhst-10250485400913_2163_4570786.jpg

Thank you for any info

As bilderbuchi said, they are quite similar to pots.

There are different types, like

-single or dual: dual is like 2xsingle, but only one handle

-linear or logarithmic: determines the curve of the resistance

-length

-resistance

The one in your picture is a 10kOhm log dual, AFAIK.

But this doesn't mean that those inside the mpd have these values too.

Check if you find anything printed on them, if not, you have to measure their resistance.

How do you plan to fit longer faders in there anyway?

They won't fit into the holes of the pcb.

Also, you'd have to build a new enclosure for the whole thing.

I will built everything on top of MPD24.

MPD24_1.jpg

I think it will be easy, just wanted to be sure about encoders because MPD24 firmware only accept absolute values from encoders and they are useless, so no relative or incremental data from them. they are sending values from 6 o'clock to 18 o'clock, so 180degresse(and when I pass that 180 in any direction they are not sending anything in any direction, below 0 or above 127, but you can spin them as long as you wish)and I hope that there is some absolute encoder that will imitate EQ POTs from mixers.

I dont need PADS so I will be replacing it with buttons, and MMC buttons on bottom can send MIDI too so I will have 16+5 buttons.

Basically I just want to rearrange it and do something about those useless encoders(but now I see I only can move them :(

Edited by mekonca

Yes but I have here 30 presets and midi IN and OUT for connecting another devices, and I dont have to build whole BOX.

I dont know to program midibox(probably pots and faders will be easy), but how to make led rings for incremental encoders, and 360 degree encoders for jogwheel is a liitle complicated. I found some stuff on this forum and will read it.

Edited by mekonca