MIDIbox sid V2 Frontpanel

TwoCubed

Hey there!

I have started gathering massive amounts of information on building a nice midibox sid myself. So far I have gathered enough information to start buying the necessary parts. Only problem I seem to have is the dimensions of the frontplate for the complete control surface. I have the frontplate design and the software to be able to view it, but I was expecting something more CAD-like with the ability to view the dimensions between holes and such. Am I just missing an option here? I would like to make use of the CNC drill at our uni as it would massively reduce costs for the frontplate (it would cost me nothing but the plate itself). Can anyone help me out on this? I don't think I'm quite ready to handle my own frontplate design just yet... That's for the future :)

I gladly appreciate any help!

Shane

I use FrontPanel Express though it's really for buying panels directly from them and could use some additional features (like being able to mark up measurements between two holes or spaces) but it otherwise works pretty well. There are others you can use. In fact if you're doing your own drilling, there is some Linux software that may interest you a friend of mine used a while back. I can't remember what it was though :/

Yes exactly, I opened the front panel design in front panel express. How do I find out the spaces between holes and such? Is it possible to import the design file into some CAD-Program? I have access to SolidWorks and Solid Edge.

I just want to be able to fully dimension this panel, so I can pass it on to the lab guy at uni:

Front Panel

Perhaps someone has a CAD file he or she could provide me with?

EDIT: Ok, I found out how to allocate the coordinates and radius of the elements... but damn, that's some tedious work (it doesn't help that most measurements are in imperial units and some in metric units ;) ). I will make a CAD file of it though. If anyone is interested in it I'd post it here as a .step or .sat file (if I'm allowed to)

Edited by TwoCubed

You can easily convert to Metric - look at the bottom where the coordinates are. There is a little arrow next to in which you can use to change to mm. Can't tell you much about converting to other formats in FPE. I think it might have an export feature but it's a proprietary program so I wouldn't hold my breath there. They do good work, however, if you don't mind having them make you a panel.

You can easily convert to Metric - look at the bottom where the coordinates are. There is a little arrow next to in which you can use to change to mm. Can't tell you much about converting to other formats in FPE. I think it might have an export feature but it's a proprietary program so I wouldn't hold my breath there. They do good work, however, if you don't mind having them make you a panel.

I wouldn't mind at all... it's just that it'd cost me over €200,-... I think I could get away with something about €30,- and it'd be a liiitle bit more "DIY" ;)

Also, I found the conversion button, but just after I configured my SolidWorks for the use of inches :D

• 1 year later...