MIDI merger power supply

Kvetch

Hey, Im having trouble powering my midi merger kit from mikes shop. Im trying to power it from J2 on a working core module. I can't really find any info on what connection on the merger PCB should be used for power. Only JP4 and JP5 are available and the schematic is confusing me a little. Does the polarity of the power from the core module matter when connecting to the merger? Thanks for any help :)

The 2 diodes are correctly oriented. Basically I have soldered a pair of wires from J2 on my working core module to J4 on the above merger PCB. I cannot get the merger side of things to power. Also when I quiery the working core with MIOS studio it says 'application is up and running' but when I exchange the PIC for the one that came with the merger kit, MIOS says 'no response from MIOS8 core'. I was expecting the merger PIC to at least say the bootloader is up and running.

The 2 diodes are correctly oriented. Basically I have soldered a pair of wires from J2 on my working core module to J4 on the above merger PCB. I cannot get the merger side of things to power. Also when I quiery the working core with MIOS studio it says 'application is up and running' but when I exchange the PIC for the one that came with the merger kit, MIOS says 'no response from MIOS8 core'. I was expecting the merger PIC to at least say the bootloader is up and running.

The Supply circuit parts on the Core and on the Merger boards are very similar or identical, I think. In this case you have a possibility to compare how "looking components" B1, IC4, etc. on the one board and how - on the another board.

Last time i rarely using the Mios studio.

When you had connected the core module with the Mios studio is every time the Device ID number stay the same ( by default ID=0, I think)? Are you refreshing the Mios studio every time when you made a new connection ?

Be patient.

Regards,

Janis

Edited by Janis1279

Thanks janis and rosch for replies. What would be the easiest way to tell if I have maybe burned out the PIC or Optocoupler on the merger board as all connections have been checked. Also am I right in thinking that to connect the merger to MIOS studio I should be using MIDI out from the merger -> MIDI in on my interface and MIDI out on my interface -> MIDI in 1 on merger. Or should it be MIDI in 2 on merger? Ill just stay patient and keep troubleshooting best I can :)

Hi,

May be some deeper Midi Troubleshooting section reading can help :

http://ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

The merger board photos on the both sides can be helpful, too.

The optocouplers are easily to replace from the one socket to another.

You have the working Core with the working Pic controler. You can upload many application ,too.

The mergers board Midi out and Midi In2 sockets are able to work with the Pic controler from the Core module, I think.

Regards,

Janis

Edited by Janis1279